Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Enough colostrum?

Default Enough colostrum?

Hello,

My baby is 3 months old and I feel like she's not getting enough colostrum. My milk hasn't come in yet and I'm concerned that she's not eating enough. Today I only had 2 wet diapers in 12 hours.

How long does it take the colostrum to refill?

Default Re: Enough colostrum?

Hi mama. Just to clarify, you say baby is 3 MONTHS old and your milk hasn't come in?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Yes, mama. Let us know. Do you mean 3 days old?

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I'll assume you meant 3 days old...colostrom (or milk when it comes in) never actually runs out and needs to refill, you are always making it.

At three days old, your baby should have 4 wet diapers in 24 hours, so that sounds about right if you've had 2 in 12 hours. You should also have 3 yellow/greeen poops. Does this sound right for you?

Keep nursing as much as possible and drink a lot of water, eat enough food, etc. Sleep as much as possible when your baby sleeps. Your milk should be coming in very soon.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeannie.bean View Post
    I'll assume you meant 3 days old...colostrom (or milk when it comes in) never actually runs out and needs to refill, you are always making it.

At three days old, your baby should have 4 wet diapers in 24 hours, so that sounds about right if you've had 2 in 12 hours. You should also have 3 yellow/greeen poops. Does this sound right for you?

Keep nursing as much as possible and drink a lot of water, eat enough food, etc. Sleep as much as possible when your baby sleeps. Your milk should be coming in very soon.
    As far as poop goes baby still may be passing meconium which is very tar like and sticky dark black or green poop? Has your baby passed poop like that? If so that's also a great indication that all is well.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    As far as poop goes baby still may be passing meconium which is very tar like and sticky dark black or green poop? Has your baby passed poop like that? If so that's also a great indication that all is well.
    thanks Jenna...I just happened to have a breastfeeding book I was going to loan to a friend and that's what it said for 3 days old. The poop color could still be meconium if milk hasn't come in. The book also says:

The fact that your breasts are producing ony small quantities of colostrum at this point is also perfectly normal. Keep in mind that your milk volume will increase two to five days after birth and that babies are designed to handle this.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Perfect! Easier to recall cuz I just had Sam

Also OP my milk didn't come in for 5 days. Please keep nursing on demand that's what brings your milk in.
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

hang in there and keep nursing this might be helpful to you:

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

when do you go back to the doctor
    Is the baby sleeping alot?

IF you do have to suppliment a little use a cup or spoon and not a bottle so that they can get all their sucking needs met at the breast.

Sorry the Lo is 3 days old thanks for the support I'm still trying!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    hang in there and keep nursing this might be helpful to you:

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

when do you go back to the doctor
    Is the baby sleeping alot?

IF you do have to suppliment a little use a cup or spoon and not a bottle so that they can get all their sucking needs met at the breast.
    just keep bringing your Lo to your breast and trying.....keep track of your diapers( write it down) it helped me when I was super tired at first..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones