Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Combining Pumped Milk

Default Combining Pumped Milk

Hello Ladies,

I am BF and also donating milk. My supply seems to be fine and my baby is gaining weight normally, she is 3 weeks 2 days. I am pumping around noon everyday and I store 3-4 oz. to donate and then I have about 2 oz. left to store for my "stash" (I still have 9 weeks off). I really don't want to pump more per day because I don't want my supply to go up so much. My question is, can I combine milk from 2 separate days in one Medela bag. I hate wasting the space in the bag, just by storing a little bit. Should I just pump longer to get more milk? I am not emptying my breast all the way when I pump because I want to make sure that I have some for her next feeding. I am alternating breasts at each feeding, not offering both. What do you think?

Thank you very much in advance.

I have seen that this question was already asked. I apologize. I will look better next time.
    Last edited by @llli*lu.smom; March 27th, 2011 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Already answered.

Default Re: Combining Pumped Milk

I was told by the lady I contacted at the Womens hospital in Vancouver BC, that the milk should not spend more then 24hrs in the fridge before freezing. So if you pumped at 7am one day and wanted to combine it with milk from 6am the next day it should be ok as long as they are the same temp when you combine them. But they told me not to wait longer then 24hrs before freezing. Maybe call your contact at the hospital you will be donating to?
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Hmm, I've always gone by milk being good in the fridge about 5 days and you can freeze it whenever during that time.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Yeah but milk banks are alittle crazy. They are super strict about what to do.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Got it, I didn't see she was donating to an actual bank. . Didn't want anyone to be confused in general.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Thank you for the responses. The milk that I am going to combine will be for my Luisa to have. The one I am pumping to donate I freeze immediately. They are really strict about their guidelines.

Thanks again!!!