Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Suggestions for introducing the bottle

Default Suggestions for introducing the bottle

My DH and I tried to give our 10 week DD a bottle of expressed BM this afternoon. It was a total failure - she screamed and cried and resisted for 30mintues at which point I stepped in and said "forget this, it's not that important, I'm feeding her."

I'm not going back to work until she's about 8 months, but it would be helpful for her to take a bottle for the occassional night out. I figure in a few more months we can introduce a sippy cup and she could just get her BM from that when we're out if all of this fails totally...is that reasonable?

Are there any suggestions that you might have to help her take a bottle? We tried two different types of bottles and I left the room. At one point she was sort of mouthing the bottle nipple and seemed to be trying to figure it out, but that ended in her screaming.

Thanks for any tips you may have.

Default Re: Suggestions for introducing the bottle

I have a thread about the same thing going on which may help
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=100227
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

One thing I will add is to try when baby is not hungry and more alert.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

One thing I've done is nurse a bit, offer the bottle a bit, go back to nursing when the bottle gets frustrating, etc.

Lilah hated bottles but would latch onto them when she was sleep eating at night. It was enough for me to know that she knew how to, she was just choosing not to.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

We tried multiple bottles and nipples and got lucky with a MAM , the same brand as DS's paci (which was also difficult to introduce). We started with the low-flow nipple but he would get frustrated and seemed to wear out before he drank much. He seems happier with the #3 flow. But I'm still not not at work so these have just been 1-2 oz trials. I am thinking of a sippy cup for a backup plan, just in case. He is almost 6 mos. Good luck!

If you aren't going back to work till 8 months I wouldn't worry too much. By that point she should be able to take a sippy cup or even drink it out of a regular cup.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )