Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: oatmeal and iron question

Default oatmeal and iron question

I'll be starting solids at just about 6 months and I'm wondering if it's okay to start with oatmeal rather than rice cereals. With all the controversy over the nutritional value of rice cereal, it seems oatmeal might be better. Or are there other grains it would be good to start with? As well, is there a prepared variety of this, or do you make it yourself?

Also, do you really need a grain in the first few months, or could I just start with the fruits/veg for a while? My baby is EBF, so I am worried about iron. Are there certain foods that I should introduce to get the right amount of iron for my baby? I really don't want to supplement or do the rice cereal.

Thanks!

Default Re: oatmeal and iron question

You can get baby oatmeal, but the biggest thing to remember is that after 6 months your are only letting baby get used to the idea of foods. LOs main source of nurishment should be breastmilk untill 12 months.

Check out askdrsears.com hes got some good stuff on starting solids.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

with the above. You can also make your own "baby oatmeal" by putting some oats in the food processor and giving them a quick buzz. This is what I did for DD when she was first eating solids. She still LOVES her oatmeal .

ETA Your milk has more usable iron than any "solid" foods you can feed LO. You may read that your BM has less milk than other foods, but remember the iron your milk contains is more rapidly absorbed than another source of iron for baby. IMO there's no need to start out with grains for baby. We started out with pieces of fruit and softened veggies.
    Last edited by @llli*becca-mama2elisabeth; March 27th, 2011 at 02:33 PM.

You can also make your own rice cereal...the box stuff really is not good. I mean, why would you go from giving your child the best food in the world, to giving them something processed and in a box right off the bat

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I started out with avocado, then other fruits and steamed veggies, then meat. I read that if eaten along with a veggie the iron in meats is better absorbed. I also always added a fruit for variety and extra vitamin C to further aid with absorption of iron from the meat and green veggies.

I didn't give DD any grain food until around 9 months (I didn't feel she needed it), and her first grain food was oatmeal.

I let DD try a wide variety of food but our emphasis was totally breastfeeding all the way until well past 1YO.

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*becca-mama2elisabeth View Post
    You can also make your own "baby oatmeal" by putting some oats in the food processor and giving them a quick buzz.
    We do this and our twins love their oatmeal! We haven't bothered with rice cereal at all. We buy old fashioned rolled oats in bulk and I grind some up myself a couple of times a week for the kids. I like doing it this way in particular as I can alter the texture. The first batch was very fine while they were getting used to it and now they're up to bigger pieces. No waste! And it stays fresh longer.

We started out with sweet potatoes and other veggies, then fruits, and then added in oatmeal (usually sweetened with a little applesauce or pears) for variety. I saw no real benefit to using baby rice as it doesn't taste like much and isn't very valuable nutritionally compared with all of the other good foods out there. When we started, I figured that if we were going to move away from tasty breastmilk, I wanted their next nutritive introduction to be to something that would taste good...
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*becca-mama2elisabeth View Post
    with the above. You can also make your own "baby oatmeal" by putting some oats in the food processor and giving them a quick buzz. This is what I did for DD when she was first eating solids. She still LOVES her oatmeal .

We did this and it worked great.. also we baby led solids too.. So avocado was a great first food starter.. and unless your baby has been tested for low iron.. Your breast milk is enough right now.. At 6 months they are really playing and learning about food, more than needing it..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones