Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just a curiousity question

Default Re: Just a curiousity question

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dara View Post
    I THINK I would nurse someone elses baby if they asked me to...not sure, but I do think I would. anyone else????
    I'd nurse someone elses' baby as long as I wasn't neglecting my own in doing so ofc. I would rather babies have breastmilk than have a child have to take formula because something came up where their mother was somehow unable to nurse them
    I wouldn't mind being a wet nurse some day even(once my son is weaned obviously), I wish I knew how someone even gets that job actually. My reason is that I think it would be a really great thing to do to help a mum who for whatever reason can't breastfeed (I.E. someone who has undergone a mastectomy or needs to take medications unsafe for bf-ing) and her baby.
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Forever is the answer. There are documented cases of Wet nurses nursing into their 50's and 60's. And I'd rather have my mother (Or just about anyone) nurse my kid than give him formula. If the choice was someone else's human milk or formula, for me there'd be no hesitation at all.

Way too lazy for formula

Carolin we are looking to move....just sayin
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

There's this terrific book called What the World Eats. It shows families in their houses, surrounded by a week's worth of their food (Americans will be ashamed), and there's a write-up on the family and their lifestyle and relationship to food. The following is a quote from the piece on the family from Bhutan: "Nalim" (Sangay's mother, age 53) "is usually the designated field worker because Sangay" (Nalim's daughter, age 39) "is nursing Tandin Wangchuk. It was different with their last babies; Nalim's youngest daughter...is the same age as Sangay's son Geltshin, and either mother could stay home and nurse both babies while the other worked in the fields."

Jenna, have you considered central PA?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tarantamom View Post
    Interestingly enough...I have actually done a bit of research into this as well as talking to one of the main LLL Leaders here in the UK who also did some extensive research into the topic for me. My reasoning is that I plan to lactate permanently because I (and my husband) much prefer my milk to cows' milk as well as the health benefits of it and wish to continue having it as well as having it around for our son as long as he wishes to drink it (I am ing so it's not like I'll have a teenager latched onto the breast anyway). Well the long and short of it is, as long as you take care of yourself and empty your breasts regularly then your breasts will continue to express milk. Menopause won't stop it, either. Wild, huh!
    Wow. If this is true, I wonder what effect it would actually have on menopause. I don't like the idea of my daughter drinking cows milk. I stopped drinking it myself for a while because it seemed like my daughter was more uncomfortable/gassy after I drank it when she was bf'ing. She doesn't seem to have much of a problem with it anymore. Eliminating dairy from my diet caused me to lose a lot of extra weight and I felt much better when I was doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*intine View Post
    Wow. If this is true, I wonder what effect it would actually have on menopause.
    Probably minimal effect, though I think one would have to be careful to get enough calcium, since bone density tends to decline after menopause.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    There's this terrific book called What the World Eats. It shows families in their houses, surrounded by a week's worth of their food (Americans will be ashamed), and there's a write-up on the family and their lifestyle and relationship to food. The following is a quote from the piece on the family from Bhutan: "Nalim" (Sangay's mother, age 53) "is usually the designated field worker because Sangay" (Nalim's daughter, age 39) "is nursing Tandin Wangchuk. It was different with their last babies; Nalim's youngest daughter...is the same age as Sangay's son Geltshin, and either mother could stay home and nurse both babies while the other worked in the fields."

Jenna, have you considered central PA?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

I'm planning on sneaking bm into my baking. Dh is weird about the idea of people sharing bm but I'm sure a super chocolate cake would change his mind lol. He thinks it's "weird" that I'm pumping for a milk bank but sums it up as my "hobby" lol
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*codepink View Post
    I'm planning on sneaking bm into my baking. Dh is weird about the idea of people sharing bm but I'm sure a super chocolate cake would change his mind
    I am uncomfortable with the ethics of sneaking something into someone's food supply against their will. No problem at ALL with people drinking or eating breastmilk, just to be clear. But this seems sort of similar to sneaking meat or broth to a vegetarian. Not unhealthy, just... disrespectful of the person's desires (however silly those desires may seem to someone else).
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    I am uncomfortable with the ethics of sneaking something into someone's food supply against their will. No problem at ALL with people drinking or eating breastmilk, just to be clear. But this seems sort of similar to sneaking meat or broth to a vegetarian. Not unhealthy, just... disrespectful of the person's desires (however silly those desires may seem to someone else).
    Adults or kids too? I sneak veggies into DSs food on the regular. Also where to draw the line? Are you supposed to announce all ingredients for everything you cook? I gave DH tofu ice cream without telling him it was tofu....is that sneaky too?
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language