Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just a curiousity question

Default Re: Just a curiousity question

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    Honestly though? I don't want someone else, even my Mom, to nurse my babies. It's such a precious relationship, I don't want to share it. Maybe I'm selfish, but I have truly cherished BFing my girls.
    And plus I would never be able to pry my LO out of moms arms if this was the case
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    Honestly though? I don't want someone else, even my Mom, to nurse my babies. It's such a precious relationship, I don't want to share it. Maybe I'm selfish, but I have truly cherished BFing my girls.
    I think a lot of moms feel this way, but I also think it's part of our breastfeeding culture. In other cultures where women are more likely to breastfeed for each other in a pinch, it is not viewed in the same way.

For me, personally, the situation has not come up, but I think I might be okay with it? What's the difference between having your friend give your baby a bottle and having her give him her boob? Our culture sees breasts as a "private" thing, but that's not true in other cultures.

I've read that in muslim cultures, the same rules against incest apply between children breastfed by the same woman as children of the same woman. So that shows both how common it was for women to breastfeed other people's children, and also, how that was in itself considered an important relationship (the relationship between a child and his/her nurse was considered biological in some respect). So you could have "milk siblings."
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; March 27th, 2011 at 01:52 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I think that if I had to be away from DD for a while, Id rather someone I trust nurse her then offer her formula (when she was a baby). I wonder at her age of almost 2, would she even care to nurse from someone else? Or just wait for me to get back? But I agree that our culture would look down on that.

I THINK I would nurse someone elses baby if they asked me to...not sure, but I do think I would. anyone else????
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

When the placenta is removed in childbirth it signals you body to produce colostrum and to make milk for a newborn so it's not simply a newborn nursing, it the placenta hormones.

Also if you tandem nurse different age groups the older kids get the same milk as baby needs but they do not really use it up.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I THINK I would nurse someone elses baby if they asked me to...not sure, but I do think I would. anyone else????[/QUOTE]

I know my mom and her sisters sometimes in a pinch nursed each others kids and I would definitely nurse my niece and nephews if it was needed and my sisters wanted me to but some of them would probably think it was gross.

And of course most of them think I am crazy for still nursing my 2.5 yo 37lb son.
    Last edited by @llli*romeroke; March 27th, 2011 at 10:41 PM.

I would nurse someone else's baby no problem
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

We actually heard an Arabic "news of the weird" type item about that... It was a story about a couple that was married that found out that they were technically forbidden from marriage because they had nursed from the same woman when they were babies. I think in this case they were also cousins which is also very common in the Arab world, so I can see how that could easily happen that 2 cousins could nurse from the same woman and then also get married without realizing it.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I have been fed by my aunt when my mom had to undergo surgery to remove her uterus when I was 3 years old. I still remember the nursing sessions with my mom and my aunt.I think in some cultures its done on a need basis.But even after my mom recovered some nights I did sleep with my aunt and ended up feeding from her. My DH nursed till he turned 5.Both of us have very good memories of nursing. And also his sister nursed from her aunt because my MIL lost her supply when she conceived my DH who was 12th child of the family.I really don't think it made difference to our relationship with our parents/aunts.

Thanks
    Mangai

Interestingly enough...I have actually done a bit of research into this as well as talking to one of the main LLL Leaders here in the UK who also did some extensive research into the topic for me. My reasoning is that I plan to lactate permanently because I (and my husband) much prefer my milk to cows' milk as well as the health benefits of it and wish to continue having it as well as having it around for our son as long as he wishes to drink it (I am ing so it's not like I'll have a teenager latched onto the breast anyway). Well the long and short of it is, as long as you take care of yourself and empty your breasts regularly then your breasts will continue to express milk. Menopause won't stop it, either. Wild, huh!
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

I nursed my niece and my sis nursed my son. The kiddos are 6 months apart. .
    I would nurse someone else's kid no problem and if I know the mom is not drinking/smoking/taking drugs/healthy/.... I would have no problem if my child nursed w another mom. Iow, I would love to have Jenna as my next door neighbor.
    I must point out, I believe lll officially disapproves of x nursing.
    Last edited by @llli*clooneylover; March 28th, 2011 at 01:55 AM.
    You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong no matter who does it or who says it.
    Malcom X