Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just a curiousity question

Default Just a curiousity question

How long could a woman actually produce milk assuming she was bf'ing?

Default Re: Just a curiousity question

Indefinitely, I think. Back when people used wet nurses, women would nurse their own babies, then a succession of other people's babies, for years and years. (It was often more complicated than this, of course, but that was the gist.) The composition of breastmilk will change over time, but you can lactate for a LOOOONG time if the demand is there.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Indefinitely, I think. Back when people used wet nurses, women would nurse their own babies, then a succession of other people's babies, for years and years. (It was often more complicated than this, of course, but that was the gist.) The composition of breastmilk will change over time, but you can lactate for a LOOOONG time if the demand is there.
    And my milk never fully dried up after my daughter weaned (I nursed her for 6.5 months, and then could still express milk when I conceived my son about 10.5 years later). I always sort of assumed I could start producing real milk again if a baby were to start latching on.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    And my milk never fully dried up after my daughter weaned (I nursed her for 6.5 months, and then could still express milk when I conceived my son about 10.5 years later). I always sort of assumed I could start producing real milk again if a baby were to start latching on.
    In Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding, she talks about grandmothers nursing their grandchildren. Once a woman has nursed one baby, her breasts can potentially start making milk with just a little stimulation. Apparently, grandmothers nursing babies is actually pretty common around the world! I realize people in our culture would think this is a bit freaky, but I think it's awesome! Our bodies are great - the world survived without formula for a long time.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thats interesting. I don't know if this is a stupid question, but if you just started feeding a newborn after bf'ing for a while, your body would adjust and you would produce milk just like you were producing it when your baby was a newborn?

Oooh this is kinda on topic kinda not.....
    If you continue to breastfeed through your pregnancy will your older baby take all the colostrum or does your body produce it for a set amount of time regardless of out put? (This is my moms question. I said I was breastfeeding indefinately and she totally shocked me with this informed question I could not answer)
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

I'm still bf my 19 month old and I'm willing to bet I'm making next to nothing i guess if the demand went up so would the supply tho... She's only nursing at night and once for nap
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*codepink View Post
    Oooh this is kinda on topic kinda not.....
    If you continue to breastfeed through your pregnancy will your older baby take all the colostrum or does your body produce it for a set amount of time regardless of out put? (This is my moms question. I said I was breastfeeding indefinately and she totally shocked me with this informed question I could not answer)
    Nope! Your body produces colostrum until your milk comes in, so you body will just keep making more. I've heard that some bigger kids will stop nursing because they don't like the colostrum, though.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    In Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding, she talks about grandmothers nursing their grandchildren. Once a woman has nursed one baby, her breasts can potentially start making milk with just a little stimulation. Apparently, grandmothers nursing babies is actually pretty common around the world! I realize people in our culture would think this is a bit freaky, but I think it's awesome! Our bodies are great - the world survived without formula for a long time.
    Wouldn't that be nice if we could still do this? Then I wouldn't have to shoot down Mil's and moms suggestions to bottle feed just so they can feed Elena too. Lol I should tell them they should start lactating and we'll talk
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Honestly though? I don't want someone else, even my Mom, to nurse my babies. It's such a precious relationship, I don't want to share it. Maybe I'm selfish, but I have truly cherished BFing my girls.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and