Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reverse Cycling???

Default Reverse Cycling???

Hi there (sorry this is going to be long)

So my DS has really been weird the last few weeks - basically since he got a cold - pretty much refusing to eat during the day... so much speculation as to whats going on here - distractibility, teething etc etc... Overall a very happy baby still though.

Anyways, I was worried b/c he NEVER tells me he is hungry now - going on for over 3 weeks now - only eating well in the middle of the night. So I took him to the doctor mainly to get him weighed.. He was gaining weight just fine, however the doctor told me he has his days and nights mixed up. Now I am home with him all day long, and I am not really sure if this is actually reverse cycling or whether my dr just wanted us out of her office in a hurry (since he is obviously healthy). He was getting up ALOT in the middle of the night to feed (like 4 or 5 times) when he wasn't feeling well, so maybe thats whats caused this issue. However, now he is only getting up about twice - sometimes three times between 9pm and 8am - getting back to normal (previous to this, he still always got up about once or twice). However, he is still refusing to nurse during the day. I am able to get him to eat enough, but its brutal and the hugest struggle ever just to get him to take one gulp. I have to catch him when he has just woken up from a nap, otherwise its like a gulp here a gulp there all day long - just will not nurse for a decent period of time.

So the dr told me to just wait it out another week and then i'd have to get tough with him. However, she said not to force him. I dont know how to get him back on schedule. How do you get tough without pi$$ing him off and getting angry at me - this has only seemed to make it worse lately? I dont see how only eating 2-3 times at night can satisfy him all day long... If i wait for him to tell me he's hungry he never will - i tried yesterday and after 4.5 hours of absolutely no sign of hunger, i gave in and struggled to try to feed him again.

I've tried every position under the sun, every room in my house, dark, light, white noise, music, nursing necklaces, different chairs, different pillows, skin to skin, blankets, walking around etc etc... but nothign seems to get him very interested in nursing. It has gotten SLIGHTLY better since yesterday, but I am getting desperate for suggestions on how I can get his appetite back on track, or even just a 'I've been there -he'll grow out of this' response... Honestly, he just really does not seem hungry at ALL during the day now. SO weird.

This is taking over my life (it feels like the first 6 weeks all over again when he wouldnt latch )

I previously posted about the exact same issue thinking it was a nursing strike, or weaning or something.. unforutnately there hasn't been much improvement.

Sorry for the novel...
    Lisa

Default Re: Reverse Cycling???

I'm sorry, I don't remember from your previous posts how old your LO is? My son was very similar to this I think around 3-6 months. He would vary a lot how much he ate from day to day, and sometimes seemed to eat nothing. He was especially bad when we were away from home. I remember times when he would go even six hours during the day refusing to nurse. Mine did always eat at night. He also ate better during the day when he was sleepy. I remember waiting to hear him wake from a nap and RUSHING to get him at the first little peep to put him to the breast so he'd eat. I even started writing down how often he nursed, thinking he couldn't possibly be getting enough to eat. BUT, he was really just fine. He continued to gain weight (although weight gain did slow considerably from the first 3 months, which is normal). He continue to fill his diapers. I think he was just too interested in other things to eat, and wasn't that hungry. He did outgrow it eventually. He never started waking less at night, but added more daytime nursings to the nighttime ones . Keep an eye on his diaper output and growth, but if that's fine then there's probably nothing to worry about.

Default Re: Reverse Cycling???

Wow that sounds exactly like us... ESPECIALLY the racing to his crib to get him when he first wakes up... If he gets to the point where he's wide awake, forget it!! I used to love it when he fell asleep in the car and stuff, but now I hate it b/c I can't feed him the absolute second he wakes up

My LO is 5 months old.. this all started about 3 weeks ago and he has gained over a pound since his 4 month check up, so I know weight wise he is doing fine... (his weight gain slowed after 2 months - first two months he was gaining over 2 pounds a month, and has consistently gained about a pound for the third, fourth and fifth months).

It really doesn't bother me having to wake up to feed him, in fact I am grateful that he is eating... so if night time feedings continue, I really don't mind - just would like him to take more of an interest during the day - I know he'll never go back to being completely focused on eating as he did when he was really little, but it would nice just to see a little improvement during the days!! His diapers are about the same... for the last few months, he's only had about 6 or 7 wet diapers a day (and usually only one that i would consider really heavy which is first thing in the morning), and this has still remained consistent - although i wonder sometimes where in the heck the pee is comign from during the day! LOL

anyways, thanks.. if you have any suggestions that helped you along, would welcome them greatly!
    Lisa