Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STILL only 10mls per session and on Domperidone!

Default STILL only 10mls per session and on Domperidone!

I'm at my wits end now. This whole thing has been one uphill struggle and frankly if this is all I'm going to get after all the stuff I've tried, I'm just going to pack it in altogether.

I've been pumping every 1.5 - 2 hours and for 15 minutes, and then doing hand expression as well. I'm taking 3x10ml Domperidone tablets three times a day which is MORE than my doctor has told me to take. He says it is a dangerous dose, but I know women who take up to 5x10mls 3xday. My doc will only prescribe me 2 10mls x3day.. I'm drinking loads, I'm peeing loads, and I'm trying to put DD to the breast but she is just not willing.

I use a Medela Symphony pump (and have posted a few other threads about that on the Pumping boards) and I'm also trying Fenugreek (but that has never worked for me in the past..) What more can I do?!

I pump last thing at night and first thing in the morning and this morning I had to wait an extra half hour and my milk was dripping from my breasts, but I only managed 1oz from each breast, 2oz in total. Why can't I make more?? How am I ment to feed DD on just ebm and no formula when it takes me 2 days to make enough for just 1 bottle?

Sorry if I sorta ranted a little. I'm so frustrated..

EDIT- DD is ALMOST 11mths old, eats 3 meals a day and some times snacks in between. She will usually have about 20-24oz of milk in 24hrs and poops and wets like a pro..
    Last edited by @llli*bbmomma; March 27th, 2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Forgot to add a few details..

Jarred - 12/June/2007 - BF for 3 months - stopped due to medical reasons
    Lilly - 4/May/2010 BF for 8 months - On strike between 1/1/2011 - 29/3/2011 - That's 12 Weeks and 3 days!! It is FINALLY over!
    Together we battle with Cows milk, nuts and soya allergies, but we're making it!
    We , , and too, but we're having problems..
    EPING for 3 months and counting!!

Default Re: STILL only 10mls per session and on Domperidone!

Are you pumping near your LO? I know its alittle weird but I pump at the table while my LO eats (I can eat ten times faster then her). I find that watching my DD do something cute like gum her cheerios increases the amount I pump.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

I just learned that there's an herb called "malunggay" which can boost milk supply and seems to be nutritious anyway. I'm mentioning it here because much as I had read (and done) about low supply I had NEVER heard of that one before Dr. Jack Newman mentioned it to me just a few days ago. In case you wanted to try one more thing...

http://www.malunggay.com/description.htm

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_3iiine91zz_e

I just order some (powder) for myself.

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...

Are you doing breast compressions while you pump? Are you pumping through 2 let downs?

I am often a slow pumper and need more than 15 min per session, especially when I'm at work and have full breasts. I usually only get about 2 oz in the first 15 minutes but another 3 oz or more if I continue to pump through a second let down (about 30 mon total)

I know you've been really struggling. I feel for you mama!
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ooky View Post
    Are you doing breast compressions while you pump? Are you pumping through 2 let downs?

I am often a slow pumper and need more than 15 min per session, especially when I'm at work and have full breasts. I usually only get about 2 oz in the first 15 minutes but another 3 oz or more if I continue to pump through a second let down (about 30 mon total)

I know you've been really struggling. I feel for you mama!
    YOU GET TWO LETDOWNS?!?! Now I feel even worse. But only a little. Pretty much as soon as I put the pump to my breast, my milk lets down and I can empty in as little as 3 or 4 minutes. I then sit there and do compressions/massage for the remainding 10 minutes but have never once had a second letdown. Once I take the pump off I then express by hand and get another 4 or 5mls per side.. but that's it. Litterally. I have sat there for a good 40 minutes to see if anything else happens, but nothing does, and the annoying thing is before I start, my breasts are SORE they're so full! FULL OF WHAT?! AIR! Stupid mammoth bazooms.. So big and so far pretty much close to useless.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*irismom View Post
    I just learned that there's an herb called "malunggay" which can boost milk supply and seems to be nutritious anyway.
    Thank you! Do you know if it is available in the UK? I can't even get hold of Blessed Thistle here unless I buy it online... My health food store is hopeless. They sold me Milk thistle saying it was the same thing, when in fact Milk thistle is for the liver. It's also waaaay more expensive than Blessed Thistle. Anyway, thanks for the tip!

[QUOTE=@llli*codepink;1110076]Are you pumping near your LO?
    QUOTE]

I can't pump near her as she is hyperactive and will not stay put, unless I put her in her cot and then she stands at the rails and cries. She's a very 'hands on' type of child. I'm surrounded by all her things though and when hubby is watching her while I pump, I can hear and see her. She's generally trying to get to me, lol.

Lilly - 4/May/2010 BF for 8 months - On strike between 1/1/2011 - 29/3/2011 - That's 12 Weeks and 3 days!! It is FINALLY over!
    Together we battle with Cows milk, nuts and soya allergies, but we're making it!

So do you only pump twice a day?
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

I think she means she doesn't pump every 1.5-2 hours at night.

Although! One night session will really help. Even if it's like. . .five minutes.

Anyway. . .
    awwww bbmomma I am always thinking of you!

(missed your last thread, as I was home on break)

I visited the Newman clinic on Thursday, and while they didn't get Connor back to the breast, it was a great experience, and I just started domperidone. I'm taking 3 10mg pills 3x a day, and they told me if that didn't work it would be fine to take 4 3x a day or EVEN 4 4x a day!!! And if the Jack Newman Institute says it's ok, it must be

One thing that helps for me is that while compressions are helpful, some of my best sessions are when I plug it in and forget it. My best friend far away and I have a ritual every night where we watch old South Park episodes. I leave it on, I'm relaxed, and I'm pleasantly surprised. I can't remember if I mentioned that "advice", but it might help.

Also, one night I was like "screw it! I'm pumping ALL NIGHT" I only made it till three, but I would seriously pump until the Symphony turned off on its own, waited 20 min or so to recover and did it again. I did that three times, until 3 am. I only did this once, but I think that helped me push my supply from 6-7 oz to 8. So maybe have a couple late night hour long sessions every once in awhile?

It might help if you think about how much you make over the course of the day too. Let's sat you pumped 9 times, 10 mL total between breasts- thar is 3oz!!! One more ounce and you'd have a bottle! Well, mine takes 4 oz bottles at least. When I stopped counting the individual mL, I relaxed a teeensy bit more.

Keep going bbmomma! *love*

Please keep posting!

Do you know what helps me? Taking a looong relaxing warm shower, sometimes milk starts coming out in the shower , and thinking on cute things DD does :-).
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bbmomma View Post
    Thank you! Do you know if it is available in the UK?
    I don't... Can you get it online, too? I know shipping can be costly...

This is the website recommended to me by Dr. Newman. I didn't order from it though because I found a cheaper brand on amazon.com.

Good luck mama!

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marilyn612 View Post
    So do you only pump twice a day?
    ... Imagine if I did! Lol. I'd be walking around in agony all day long. No, it's okay that you misunderstood. I ment I pump all day long and the last time is litterally in my bed, before I put my head down.. and the first thing I do in the morning when I sit up is pump. So yeah, Katia is right.

I have a very light sleeper for a child so when she does zonk out, it's a case of RUNTOTHEBATHANDGETINASFASTASICAN!!!!! Then I washwashwash and if there is time left, I can relaaaaaaax for a bit, which is BLISS. I generally then get a text saying she's awake and screaming for me, even though she's not on the breast. She's a mummy's girl. What can I say?

Katia, do you think I could get Dr. Newman to write me a letter for my GP? It'd be worth a try because I honestly don't think 2 10ml x2/d is enough!

Ooooooooooh and guess what I discovered? I have PCOS... =( That certainly doesn't help. Time to pump! Meh.

Ooh and I'm gonna try pumping from 7pm tonight until I fall asleep. I've often wondered if it is worth putting the pump on for that long, but haven't yet reached the stage when it turns itself off. We'll have to see! I'll let you guys know.