Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constant Nursing

Default Constant Nursing

My 4 1/2 month old nurses constantly. I think it may be more than cluster feedings. He seems to just be using me as a pacifier most of the time and I really don't know how to break the cycle. He is gaining plenty of weight, so I know my milk supply is okay. He was a preemie... born at 31 weeks and he now weighs a whopping 16 lbs, so he is getting plenty to eat. We had some trouble with colicky/gas type behavior, but he seems to have grown out of it for the most part for about 1 month now. If I have him - which I do most of the time because I am a stay at home mom with a husband who works long hours - he roots and fusses unless I nurse him. I don't know what else to do. When my husband comes home he can take him and he does alright for a while until it's time for bed and then he wants to nurse for hours- sometimes he will go for 3 or 4. He is just suckling most of the time, and if I try to break the suction he "wakes up" and cries. I've tried actual pacifiers, but he wont have anything to do with it. What should I do? I've been thinking he'll grow out of it, but it's been almost 5 months now!

Default Re: Constant Nursing

Congrats on the LO and it sounds like you have been doing a great job! I would suggest you get a comfy sling and learn to nurse in it. Your LO is going to need to suckle more then full term babies and its better for him to do it with you instead of a piece of plastic. Good luck
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Is the constant nursing happening mostly around bedtime, or is it happening throughout the day?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We went through this -- it will get better! I recommend you learn how to nurse lying on your side if you don't already. Also, read up on Dr. Sears raising the high need baby: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/t050400.asp

I highly recommend reading The Fussy Baby Book: Parenting your High Need Child.

Once you start to read other accounts things will start to make more sense and you will feel less crazed. I've been told that high needs babies turn out smarter because they get so much more adult interaction; demand it really. I'm sure it is just our ped trying to make me feel better, but hey, I'll take it!

Remember it is all temporary and hang in there!
    Momma to baby girl
    Born at 41 weeks on 9/23/2010
    7 lbs/5 oz/19 in
    exclusively until BLS -- still nursing at 14 mo
    Suffered through colic together until saved by probiotics and dairy-free existence!
    for 13 mo

you have gotten great advice so far! I want to agree with PP about getting a sling or wrap or SCC for your baby. You can latch him on and have 2 free hands and be free to move around, and he can nurse for as long as he wants!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK