Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New and need help *please*

Default New and need help *please*

I have a almost 11 month old that has been a good nurser...we have had a few ups and downs but overall it has been a great experience. Here is my problem....my body doesn't respond to the pump anymore...went from getting about 10 oz to getting 1/8 oz in 20 min. I EBF and maybe I should of pumped more often but that is done...I am ok with that. Baby only nurses on the left side...right side isn't producing anymore. We have been fine with that for a couple months now and baby seems satisfied. I want to keep nursing so bad (this is probably my last baby---already have 3 kids) but I am in so much pain. My nipple is raw. I use a shell and put lansinoh creme on it constantly. Nursing is no longer enjoyable but something I dread. We are going on vacation in less than 2 weeks...does anyone have any advice on how to get this nipple healed up? I am thinking of weaning but am scared to get AF while we are gone. Pumping isn't an option anymore and I have tried holding him in different positions too....nothing is getting it better. Its raw and white...like there is no blood flow. Any advice is welcomed. I feel like I have tried everything.
    Thanks!

Default Re: New and need help *please*

http://www.kellymom.com/index.html

This is an excellant site that has alot of info. Sorry I can't help more.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

I'm wondering if you have thrush or some other kind of infection in your nipple. The kind of trauma you describe does not sound normal to me! Also, the "white" nipple you describe could be Reynaud's Syndrome. I think something is wrong here - is there any way you could see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, before you go on vacation? (Is your baby coming with you on vacation? I couldn't tell from your post.)

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I have actually been wondering if it's an infection too. I will try to go see someone this week. If I squeeze then I get color in it again. It is so weird to me. Yes, the baby is going with us on vacation but will be with my parents during the day. We are going to Disney and he will be with my parents so we can take the twins on more rides. I expect some problems with a newborn not at this stage. I am so sad that this is going on. I am at a loss. I have tried the nipple shield too but baby won't eat...only bites and that does not feel good on a already sore bb.

I would second getting it looked at by a doc becuase I think it does sound like thrush infection or something. It doesn't have to mean the end of your nursing relationship- at this point it is pretty flexable so don't give up.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rcsmom View Post
    I would second getting it looked at by a doc becuase I think it does sound like thrush infection or something. It doesn't have to mean the end of your nursing relationship- at this point it is pretty flexable so don't give up.
    Exactly. An infection doesn't mean you have to wean at all.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I certainly would investigate a possible infection. But I'm hoping this will help you - I know what has helped me with pumping is to try completely ignoring the fact that I'm pumping while I'm doing it. I pumped full time with my son for a year, and I always tried to read a book, check email on blackberry, etc, so I didn't focus on the fact that I was pumping (which I didn't necessarily enjoy). If I started to obsess about how much I was pumping and how quickly I was getting letdown, I didn't get any milk.

Good luck -

Smile Re: New and need help *please*

Not sure if anyone suggested this.. but have you tried a breast shield?? I got one with my 3rd child after birth because I was having cracked and bleeding nipples. It didn't matter how much lansinoh I put on or how often I used the nipple shield, the problem was that it wasn't able to heal properly between feedings. And the breast pads would just rip off any scab I had started to form...

I bought mine from Target.com for a very reasonable price.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

just wanted to update that I think it is a yeast infection. I started some stuff that I had gotten from my dr last summer and it seems better today after 2 doses. I tried a breast shield and he wont latch on with it...haven't used one since he was a couple months old and he was wondering what the heck it was and kept biting down on it. Thanks so much for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2gae View Post
    just wanted to update that I think it is a yeast infection. I started some stuff that I had gotten from my dr last summer and it seems better today after 2 doses. I tried a breast shield and he wont latch on with it...haven't used one since he was a couple months old and he was wondering what the heck it was and kept biting down on it. Thanks so much for the replies.
    Glad to hear you're feeling better, mama! Thrush is icky, but totally treatable. Let us know if you have any more problems with it. Many of us (ahem, like me) have had really bad thrush and lived to tell the tale (and breastfeed our babies into toddlerhood).

You can call me JoMo!