Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Has anyone needed to wean to get pregnant?

Default Has anyone needed to wean to get pregnant?

My son is 28 months and still nurses it is variable I work 2 12hour shifts a week at night so he goes a long time between some nurings but I never started my period. I even stopped birth control ( I was just on the mini pill) for 3 months and didn't get pregnant. I am thinking I might have to totally wean him at 3 in order to get pregnant. Any one have this problem? Three is still a ways off and I think once summer hits he'll probably be so busy playing outside he won't ask to nurse so often and maybe he'll wean himself. I had thought from hearing from others that he might just wean when I got preganant, but I guess that might not be possible.

Default Re: Has anyone needed to wean to get pregnant?

We didn't, but my period returned at 16 weeks even with nursing around the clock. Have you asked your doctor about it?
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: Has anyone needed to wean to get pregnant?

I think for some women, they either have to radically cut back on nursing or wean completely before their fertility comes back. While 15 months PP is the average time for a nursing mother to get her cycles back, obviously MANY women go much longer. I know there are some other mamas on here who are in your shoes, hopefully they'll chime in.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.