Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relacting after 10 1/2 months

Default Relacting after 10 1/2 months

Is it even possible? When I squeeze my left breast I will have a few drops come to the surface and a sometimes in the right one. When I was nursing my son(did so for two weeks) I had more than enough and my milk would drown him. When I would nurse on one side milk would be streaming out the other side. I have started back taking Blessed Thistle and Gaia Herbs(Lactate Support). I need help. Planning on calling a lactation consultant tomorrow. Would love to hear from people that have been in a similar situation.

Default Re: Relacting after 10 1/2 months

It is possible- it will take a lot of hard work and dedication on your part but it can be done. Here is a link with some good info. good luck and keep us posted!!!
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Check out some of the suggestions made to other moms in similar situations in the relactation forum

Wishing you lots of

I would get a hospital grade pump straightaway and pump like the dickens!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Thanks both of you! Here's the thing...I have an Ameda Purely Yours and I can pump while at home but not at work. I work 8 hours a day but will soon be out for the summer. I am off this week for Spring break but have to go back next Monday. My son also sleeps all night and he refuses to take the breast anymore. He gags. I had thought about putting something sweet on my breasts to get him to at least suckle to stimulate my breasts but feel it's no use.

I have read that link over and over and over again but get hung up on the part where it says to offer the breast...I feel I won't be able to get any milk if he won't at least try to suck. It will be hard to pump every two hours for 20 minutes because he's so clingy right now. When I walk out of the room or put him down he cries wanting me.

Forgot to ask...do lactation consultants give equipment to use? If I could get ahold of a Medele SNS feeder that may be the trick. I did try to use a med. dropper at one time but I had to keep refilling the syringe every few seconds and after he'd get latched on, I would have to move him.

I have an Ameda Purely Yours and I can pump while at home but not at work. I work 8 hours a day but will soon be out for the summer.
    Let me guess, you're a teacher, right? It seems like teachers and nurses are always the ones who have the toughest time finding time to pump! But even if you ONLY have time to pump at home, you should still be able to relactate. It's just going to take longer than if you were able to pump every few hours all day long.

I used an Ameda PY and IMO it's not a great pump for your needs. It's fine for a mom who needs to pump occasionally and is nursing and can therefore mostly rely on the baby to maintain her supply. It's not a good pump for someone who needs to do a lot of heavy-duty pumping.

I have read that link over and over and over again but get hung up on the part where it says to offer the breast...I feel I won't be able to get any milk if he won't at least try to suck
    At 10.5 months, I think getting the baby to nurse again would be great, but it's not that likely. The last time he nursed he was 2 weeks old, so he probably doesn't remember how to latch, and he probably never really mastered nursing or formed an emotional bond with nursing. So if you're choosing between pumping and attempting to get the baby to latch, I'd pick pumping.

That being said, a SNS or Lact-Aid supplemental feeder could be a great way to get the baby to the breast! This link covers more ways to get a baby to the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

Forgot to ask...do lactation consultants give equipment to use?
    They often have heavy-duty pumps you can rent. Mine cost $3/day- less than a latte, and much more worth the expense!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for you reply and yes I'm a teacher. LOL! I was wondering the same about that pump as even when I had milk I could never get mine to let down and flow into the bottles. The milk would just stay at my nipples and puddle around the rim of the cups. I sometimes wonder if I'm even doing it right because my nipples don't get erect when I'm pumping..they stay flat if that's the right word. Matter of fact that was one of my problems when I was nursing Camden.

I was always told to never buy one of those cheap ones(the one I am using now a friend let me borrow). Which ones do you recommend? I really don't want to spend lots of money on something right now if I am not sure how this is gonna work because as of right now I feel like I'm wasting my time.

I will say that something is telling me to go through with it and give it X amount of weeks/months but I don't know if I have that time to commit at his stage of independence. He is EVERYWHERE and is very much a momma's boy so he loves being near me, touching me or me holding him. I have had several dreams over the past few nights about me breastfeeding. I guess in my mind I am kinda thinking that I will be pumping and then to my surprise I will look down and see milk going into the bottles. I know it's only a dream but when I wake up I feel so good and like my body or mind rather is trying to tell me something...or it could be my way of dealing with it. If I can't do it in real life I guess I can in my dreams. I miss the bond I had with him when he was nursing even if he didn't have one. I guess I'm trying to hold onto his baby-ness since he's getting older. This isn't the first time I've tried to relactate but the first time I've been serious about it. I read somewhere that it takes the same amount of time you've stopped to get your supply or some of it back. If that's the case then I know I won't be able to do it..but then I look/read some adoptive mothers stories(most who didn't use meds but herbs) and it didn't take them 10 months. I don't know.

I've called a LC and waiting on her to call me back. So we will see. I just can't help but feel like I'm losing a part of me and if I can't get it back it will be gone forever. If that even makes sense.

I was gonna respond to something else you said and have forgotten with all of my rambling.

I've called a LC and waiting on her to call me back. So we will see. I just can't help but feel like I'm losing a part of me and if I can't get it back it will be gone forever. If that even makes sense.
    I really understand how you feel. There's alot of complicated feelings going on with me too and I'm not sure many people understand.

Just wanted to see how it's going. I feel bad it seems like the relactating people never get alot of posts or come back. Please let us know how it goes!

I was wondering the same about that pump as even when I had milk I could never get mine to let down and flow into the bottles. The milk would just stay at my nipples and puddle around the rim of the cups.
    IMO, the APY is a really underpowered pump. I'd suspect that it just didn't produce the suction you needed to generate a letdown.

I sometimes wonder if I'm even doing it right because my nipples don't get erect when I'm pumping..they stay flat if that's the right word. Matter of fact that was one of my problems when I was nursing Camden.
    Are they typically flat to the skin? Moms with flat nipples can nurse and can pump, but flat nips can present a challenge.

I was always told to never buy one of those cheap ones(the one I am using now a friend let me borrow). Which ones do you recommend?
    Any rental hospital pump is a good choice. I personally used a Medela Lactina. It's important to make sure you have properly sized breast shields, too.

If you're going to buy, I think you'd want to get a Medela Pump in Style... Which is, unfortunately, an expensive pump. $250 or more.

I really don't want to spend lots of money on something right now if I am not sure how this is gonna work because as of right now I feel like I'm wasting my time.

I will say that something is telling me to go through with it and give it X amount of weeks/months but I don't know if I have that time to commit at his stage of independence. He is EVERYWHERE and is very much a momma's boy so he loves being near me, touching me or me holding him. I have had several dreams over the past few nights about me breastfeeding. I guess in my mind I am kinda thinking that I will be pumping and then to my surprise I will look down and see milk going into the bottles. I know it's only a dream but when I wake up I feel so good and like my body or mind rather is trying to tell me something...or it could be my way of dealing with it. If I can't do it in real life I guess I can in my dreams. I miss the bond I had with him when he was nursing even if he didn't have one. I guess I'm trying to hold onto his baby-ness since he's getting older.
    Mama, the above is so touching. Breastfeeding is a really powerful emotional experience, no matter how long you do it for or how successful it is. I've had grandmas come up to me and tell me about nursing their kids back in the day. One of them told me "Oh, long after I'd weaned my baby I'd hear a baby cry in the store and I'd feel like my milk was about to run."

I read somewhere that it takes the same amount of time you've stopped to get your supply or some of it back. If that's the case then I know I won't be able to do it..but then I look/read some adoptive mothers stories(most who didn't use meds but herbs) and it didn't take them 10 months. I don't know.
    I was told that, too. I think the double time thing is a rule of thumb- but we all know how accurate those are! If you have a good pump and are willing to do the hard work with it, there's every chance that you'll be one of those exceptions that proves the rule. Just take your relactation journey one day at a time, and celebrate your successes, no matter how small they may be.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for reply. I already have given up. I never got a call back from the LC and feel it must be a sign to leave it alone. I feel so sad and so out of sorts. I blame myself for even stopping breastfeeding as I HAD milk...more than enough, I just couldn't deal with my nipples going flat and Cam getting frustrated with it. I so wished I had of pumped right then and I'd still be pumping/nursing now. I was terribly intimidated by the pump...terrified is more like the word!!

Is it strange that I secretly wish to get pregnant again just to be able to breastfeed all over again?! I am ashamed to even type that. Our house can't even fit another baby! I am dreaming I know...I have a daughter who is 8 1/2(will be 9 July 26) and Camden will be a year on April 26th...I just turned 30 and escaped gestational diabetes by a hair(failed my first test; starved myself to pass the other..barely). I know I ate wrong..I just know it. I am hoping and wishing and praying that in a few years...we will have another surprise although my son was planned all the way.

Sorry for rambling again. It feels so good to type it all out.