Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DD doesn't want solids

Default DD doesn't want solids

Hello mamas!

I'm approaching to your ever growing wisdom . DD is 6 months now. Her ped told us to start giving her juice and solids (just fruits) at 4 months. We didn't do so. At 5 months he told us to start with veggies (he assumed we had started with fruits). We didn't. At 6 months he told us to start with meats. We didn't, but we did start juice and fruits a week ago.

She doesn't like juice (Actually I'm kinda happy heehee), but the first time we gave her applesauce she seemed to dig it, she couldn't wait for the next spoonful. And kept opening her mouth and smiling at lunch for the next four days. From the 5th day she just shuts her mouth tight (she looks like a granny, cute!) and won't open it unless for complaining.

What's happening? She seemed to like it, did she change her mind???

I don't know if she's teething. She has been drooling a lot, sucking her lips, and sometimes irritable since 4 months.

I'm not worried about her nutrition since she breastfeeds on demand (most of the times every 2 hours...sometimes exhausting!), but I was hoping she'd take solids since I work and sometimes can't pump enough and she doesn't really like formula (she's got a great taste ).

Thanks in advance!
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!

Default Re: DD doesn't want solids

She simply may not be ready yet. My DD is barely starting to show more sustained interest in solids now at 8mos.

6 mo old does not need juice!

Could be several things - doesn't want to be spoon fed and wants to self-feed, could not have felt like eating at that moment, could overall not quite be ready for solids yet.

I'd pay close attention to baby's body language. If interested in food (opening mouth, reaching for food or spoon) then keep offering foods to try.

If baby closing mouth, turning head away, pushing away food / spoon then dent want to eat and do not try to "make" baby eat.

All LO eventually start eating solids - but they do it on their own timing and not when a doc of book says they are "supposed to".
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I'd stop trying juice. I didn't try juice until DD1 was over a year. It's just empty calories, sugar and fills them of nothing over nursing (why replace something perfect for something not ).

You can try something else. Maybe some sweet potato or carrots or cereal if you're going that route. Just take your time! There's no rush.

DD2 didn't like cereal at 6 months (we choose to go the cereal route). So I backed off. We tried banana at 7 months and she seemed to like it. At 7.5 months, she's now enjoying her cereal.

Although doctors seem to want to pressure solids, there's no need. It should be a fun time of discovery. While the things you offer should be nutritious, it isn't about nutrition at this time. But since they're going in, they should be healthy things.

If you need some recipes / ideas / timing, go here: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

We didn't do supplemental liquids, with the exception of small amounts of water, until DD was 1. We started attempting solids at 7 months, but DD didn't really show interest until around 15 months. Some days she would eat, and some days she wouldn't. Take comfort in knowing that your LO is getting all of the right stuff from your milk, and other foods will be of interest when the time is right.

Perhaps I don't have a good timing , maybe she's not hungry of maybe she is too hungry. I'll try changing times, if not, I will back off .

She's also a very changing baby, she sometimes STTN, sometimes she wakes up every 1.5-2 hours to nurse, sometimes she loooves her granny, sometimes she doesn't, sometimes she likes to be in her moby, or she cries so we leave her on the floor, etc etc.

We're always guessing with her .
    Yai

All sounds totally normal to me
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

Really? hehe

She does love drinking cold water from her sippy cup, we first offered it because here in Panama it gets really really hot and DH thought she could be thirsty when I was not around.

Thank you for the advices .
    Yai