Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: confused

Default confused

This is my 1st time pumping to increase supply, I was forced into supplementing with formula my LO is getting 2-3 ounces of it bout every 2-3 hours, I'm also giving him 2-3ounces of my pumped milk (im pumping 6xaday) and BF 6-10xaday unrestricted (even though i was told by Pediatrician not to) Im BF before i pump and after he has the sup. but im not sure if this is right. All feedings have increased over the past few days, I'm tring to add more BM not formula so hopefully I can ween from it completely. I was told I didnt have enough milk (he was not gaining & lost some weight) I'm taking Feengrk seems to be helping. Was also told to add more formula instead of BM & only BF for 10min MAX!! I have almost 8 years of BF exper. I even tantum nursed! But wow do these docs got me confused. I was even second guessing myself, this has totally rattled my confiedence Any help would be great thanks

Default Re: confused

It's really unusual for a mama to not have enough milk unless something isn't going quite right with nursing. The following questions may help us determine what that something is:
    - How was your baby's birth? Was he born early? Via c-section? Did you have IV fluids during his birth? How about excessive blood loss or problems getting the placenta out?
    - When your baby nurses, how does it feel? Do you have any pain?
    - Is the baby sleepy at the breast?
    - Does the baby have jaundice?
    - What was the baby's birth weight, lowest weight, and weight at each check-up?
    - How was the baby's diaper output before you started supplementing? How many wet/poopy diapers was he having in a 24 hour period, and what did the poops look like?
    - Do you have any history of thyroid problems? Anything else going on with you, heath-wise?

Your doctor's advice to restrict your baby's time at the breast seems suspicious to me. Sometimes premature babies can be too weak to nurse effectively, and can burn more calories nursing than they get from nursing. But a term baby rarely has that problem.

In addition, I think that the doctor's advice to supplement with formula rather than breastmilk is absolutely ridiculous. Breastmilk actually has more calories per oz than formula, and supplementing with expressed milk will help maintain your supply for the day when you're able to cease supplementation.

The following links should be useful:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    - How was your baby's birth? Was he born early? Via c-section? Did you have IV fluids during his birth? How about excessive blood loss or problems getting the placenta out?
    - When your baby nurses, how does it feel? Do you have any pain?
    - Is the baby sleepy at the breast?
    - Does the baby have jaundice?
    - What was the baby's birth weight, lowest weight, and weight at each check-up?
    - How was the baby's diaper output before you started supplementing? How many wet/poopy diapers was he having in a 24 hour period, and what did the poops look like?
    - Do you have any history of thyroid problems? Anything else going on with you, heath-wise?

-birth was induced at 39 weeks, vaginal lots of fluids petosin and epidural, no problems after birth, bf within first 15min

- latch and suck good, Some normal tenderness during but uneventful

-Highest count of Jaundice was 19 at 4 days old, admitted for three days to be put under the lights. at 2 week Dr checkup, was sent home with a uv bed, Jaundice was cleared up completely by week 3

-birth was 7lb1oz going home weight 6lb14oz weight bounced around between 6lb3oz(lowest) to 6lb12oz was admitted the last time when weight decreased from 6lb12 to 6lb10.5oz at 5 weeks old,
    (drs thought supply was low, bm not enough calories, LO was not removing bm efficently, seems to be doing good since home from hospital. weight now at 6 weeks was 8lb3oz)

-presupplementing wet diapers were great 6+ a day, a few very small bm poops. postsupplementing, wets are still good 6+ and there are now usually two good poopy diapers varying in consitency of bm poopy or formula poopy
    - no other medical problems

Since trying to increase milk supply breasts are fuller, seems to be draining after feedings and pumpings. however since about 6 weeks old the LO has started nursing a lot more, and my pumpings have decreaeed from 2-3oz every 2-3hr back down to the .5oz-1oz every 2-3hr i was getting before increasing supply.

-DH transcribed this for DM as she nurses across the room any mistakes are his-

First of all it sound like you have a good DH
    Anyway it sounds to me like you are on the right track. I personally would ignore your Doc about limiting breastfeeding and continue to breastfeed as often as possible. It sounds to me like you are on the right track by pumping after breastfeeding and supplimenting with that. It sounds like your LO is hitting a 6 week growth sprut and that could be why he is nursing more. also getting 2 to 3oz by pumping every 2 to 3 hours is great especially in addition to nursing. Breastfed babies really only 1 to 1.5 oz of bm per hour so it sounds like you are producing that right now. These links have some more information including weaning from supplimenting. You will want to do this very gradually keeping an eye on diaper output and weight gain. Good luck- you can do this!!!
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/index.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

my supply drpped like that about a week after starting mirena. I'm getting it taken out in a couple days to see if it helps. Did you start hormonal bc lately?

In addition to fenugreek and mothers milk tea, a couple beers per day helps me alot with supply....not sure if its brewer's yeast or hopps. If you're not a drinker they say brewer's yeast is sold in the health food store with other supplements, although I've been unable to find it.

did you say you've already tried switch nursing? when baby falls asleep take 'em off, burp 'em and put 'em on the other side. It's supposed to keep them awake and when they get used to being awake at the breast they will nurse longer and more efficiently. In the last couple weeks I've already noticed alittle improvement with my 15 week old daughter (she loves to sleepy nurse).

thanks for the great info Im not on any bc so i think stress was a major factor.Im feeling fuller and lo seems more satisfied. I started the prossess of weaning off formula so far so good Lo gained more this week than he was w/just formula so now im even more determined!