Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Food Allergy Question

Default Food Allergy Question

I'm still nursing my 15 month old daughter. Tonight for dinner we had gnocci and pesto sauce (both of which I'm fairly certain she's had before with no reaction, and I've definitely eaten multiple times while nursing). Tonight she showed signs of a mild reaction to the sauce-- red skin where the sauce contacted her skin. It went away within 30 min of eating it, with no other current signs of reaction. Since I also ate the gnocci/pesto, I'm nervous to nurse her. I did call the 24 hour hotline and it went straight to voicemail. Any insight would be hugely helpful- many thanks in advance!

Default Re: Food Allergy Question

Was it a flat rash or raised? Did you make the pesto or was it store bought? Pesto can be fairly acidic, which could definitely be a cause of a contact rash (which would be flat, and only where the sauce touched her skin). But if there was walnuts in the sauce, which there can be sometimes in pesto, that may be of concern. Pine nuts are also obviously allergenic, but walnuts would be more common. However, normally if it was an allergic reaction to nuts, there would be a more systemic reaction and there would be hives (raised) on other parts of her body, not just where the sauce touched.

Has she had nuts before?

First of all, THANK YOU for responding! I get so anxious about all of this. Second, to answer your questions: it was a packet I bought from a store, it doesn't say it contains nuts anywhere on it (the indredient list is lengthy:Salt, Sugar, Corn Starch, Garlic Powder, Basil, Spinach, Monosodium glutamate, Parsley, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Parmesan Cheese (Milk, Salt, Cheese Cultures, Enzymes), Maltodextrin, Guar Gum, Whey, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Nonfat Dry Milk, Yeast Extract, Spice, Disodium Phosphate, Mono & Diglycerides, Wheat Flour, Disodium Guanylate, Disodium Inosinate, Natural flavors, Malic Acid).
    After reading that I'm hesitant to use it again anyway (so many chemicals!). She's had a few nuts before, I haven't tried walnuts or peanuts yet. She's definitely had soybean oil in other products before. I didn't feel any raised bumps, I didn't see any other areas (other than where it touched), and it was gone not long after we took the food away and wiped her hands/face (it began to fade as soon as we did so, was gone entirely within 10-20 minutes after taking it away). I will say this sauce is giving me some heartburn at the moment so acidity may be to blame.

Since it faded so quickly, I would be inclined to think it was just a contact rash. But, of course, no one can diagnose over the computer.

Has she had cow's milk/cheese before?

When my son eats a lot of tomato-ey acidic types of food he gets a red raised flat rash on his bottom when he poops. He is 18 months and still gets lots of breastmilk. We just have to be careful that he doesn't eat too much acidic stuff. Hard to do though because he loooves any form of pasta : )
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09