Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help me compose a letter to my boss about the need to provide a pumping space

Default Re: Please help me compose a letter to my boss about the need to provide a pumping sp

with Joe's mom. Very good.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Default Re: Please help me compose a letter to my boss about the need to provide a pumping sp

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*staryla View Post
    Hi <supervisor's first name>,
    With my baby due sometime this month, I anticipate returning to work in September after taking 12 weeks for maternity leave. When I return to work I will still be nursing the baby and I plan on continuing to do so for a while. I will have to express milk once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and at lunch. Where could I do this privately with access to an electrical outlet? I know space in our work environment is at a premium and office space is currently in flux—-we may not even be in this same building when I return! So I’m hoping that we can work together to generate a solution to my needs. I’m also hopeful that we can figure out a workable solution ahead of time so that everything is in place when I get back.
    Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,
    I like the tone of your letter very much. It is assertive w/o being pushy.

I would suggest instead of saying "for a while" (bolded area), I would consider saying something like: "When I return to work, I will still be nursing the baby, and I plan on pumping when I am away from him/her until at least the first birthday."

Even if you don't pump that long, that's okay. But some people just assume that moms wean @ 6 mos - can't nurse once the baby cuts teeth, oh no - so you don't want to run into a situation where they assume one thing, and you another.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    I like the tone of your letter very much. It is assertive w/o being pushy.

I would suggest instead of saying "for a while" (bolded area), I would consider saying something like: "When I return to work, I will still be nursing the baby, and I plan on pumping when I am away from him/her until at least the first birthday."

Even if you don't pump that long, that's okay. But some people just assume that moms wean @ 6 mos - can't nurse once the baby cuts teeth, oh no - so you don't want to run into a situation where they assume one thing, and you another.
    See...I liked "for a while" because that doesn't put an end date or a definate date on it. It kind of leaves it open for interpretation KWIM? Because what if you feel the need to pump for a little bit after the first b-day? PUtting that out there kind of puts that in their head
    Proud mom of 2:

I work for the federal govt too, so I totally understand what you're saying. We're in 'field offices' and when they lease office space there's supposed to be one 'office' for the local supervisor, then the rest is supposed to be open space or cubicles. In our office we happen to have individual offices, but most don't. Our agency sent out an email with links to the new law and some guidance on how to make it work in a field office setting. Some of the suggestions, IMO, were terrible. In fact I emailed our state womens programs person to let them know that.
    Since it sounds like they're in the process of nogatiating a new lease (or will be), I'd email them know with a 'heads up' and attach the guidance. Something like "I just wanted to let you know that, when I return from maternity leave I will be breastfeeding and will need to pump several times a day while at work. Since I know you're looking at nogatiating a new lease, I was thinking this would be a good time to let you know about my plans so you could take this into account when nogatiating lease space. I will need a private space with a locking door and an electrical outlet. I will need to be able to use the space daily 3 times a day for about 15-20 (or whatever) minutes at a time. When you have a minute maybe we could discuss this"
    I'd use a 'letting you know' tone since really it's not an option, its you letting them know what they are required to provide.

Thanks so much for your feedback everyone!

joe.s.mom: I think I will reword the 'ahead of time'.

jeno and babygirl: I do plan on pumping for a year (it worked out well with my first son), but I intentionally left it open because I don't want to put a time limit on myself. Maybe I'll have to pump longer for this little girl--though I really hope not! If my supervisor asks how long I'll need it for I will tell him probably a year--well actually ~10 months once you account for the time off I'm taking. Once I have something figured out I can more easily address issues if somebody comes and once to take the space away.

efifer: I'd be interested to find out what some of the 'solutions' offered were. It sounds like my work environment is slightly different than yours. We don't lease anything, but there has been lots of shuffling and reorganizing of WHERE certain groups sit. There are ~30,000 employees at the base I work and lots of buildings scattered in a diverse area. For all I know there may be a few lactation rooms scattered around, but never in any of the buildings I have access to.

maybe instead of "for a while" you could say "as long as necessary" it's sufficiently open-ended and puts the decision about how long it's necessary on YOU (or more accurately your baby )
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    maybe instead of "for a while" you could say "as long as necessary" it's sufficiently open-ended and puts the decision about how long it's necessary on YOU (or more accurately your baby )
    Good suggesion
    I figured I'd pump for 1 year and ended up pump weaning at 14 months. You never really know until you get there.
    Proud mom of 2:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos