Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixed my lipase problem!!!! (without scalding)

Default Fixed my lipase problem!!!! (without scalding)

My breastmilk started going sour/tasting soapy a few months ago, when my girls were 11 months old. I recently went to my acupuncturist who thought maybe my system was too acidic and not alkaline enough. So, I started taking 2 tsp of baking soda daily - one int he mornign and one at night and all of a sudden my milk is no longer going bad fast. Just had to share, because it is such a relief! I've been doing the baking soda for about 3-4 days and I wouldn't suggest doing it much longer than that, but wow - it's totally different and so quickly.

Post Re: Fixed my lipase problem!!!! (without scalding)

Really?! I have had a lipase problem, but only recently stopped scalding daily (only on Fridays now) because my milk seemed to be ok for DD the next day.

I'm glad the baking soda helped your lipase, but what about your digestion? I guess that's why you said don't do it longer than 3-4 days! I wonder if you will have to scald again once you stop taking the baking soda?
    Stephanie
    Proud mama to Aya born at home Oct. 2010
    and managing dietary sensitivities, OS/OALD and our lipase issues seem to have magically corrected themselves
    and at work full time
    and so always

Default Re: Fixed my lipase problem!!!! (without scalding)

How do you take it? It seems gross.

You know, I read something about women who take too many Omega3 supplements have excess lipase, or something like that, but I don't take any supplements.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Interesting....I've been reading about system acidity/alkalinity recently. Seems like my system is already rather alkaline as I have all these boys , but it might be worth a try. I let 8 oz stand too long and had to dump it this morning
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

How long does yours take Susan?

Mine is still ok after about 24 hours. I'm not sure about scalding it at that point and freezing it, but at least I don't have to scald what will be used for the next day when I'm working.
    Tracie

Mommy to

18 to 24 hours. G will still drink it at 18 hours, but I notice it smells off. At 24, he absolutely refuses. But if I freeze it within 12-18 hours, it stores just fine.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Are you scalding it before you freeze it Susan? I'm going to try scalding and freezing milk that has been cycled one day - basically pumped on Tuesday, sent to M's house with baby on Wednesday, not drank, brought home, scald and freeze some. Maybe scald and send to M's house too on Thursday? Not sure. Of course, I'm ending up with tons of frozen milk right now because baby doesn't want to drink much from bottle. Oh well.

And sorry to hijack your thread OP.
    Tracie

Mommy to

No, I don't scald if I know I can freeze it pretty quickly. If I'm not sure when I can freeze it or it's coming close, I'll scald it. It was just so much to scald about 30 oz a day (G drinks 20-24) on top of washing all this stuff, pumping constantly and taking care of three other kids. But I check the stored milk, an it's OK. but it is defintely a lipase problem and much worse than last time. This time, it smells like vomit. Last time, it didn't stink but tasted really soapy. This time, G's clothes will smell like vomit milk; he dribbles a lot and if it gets on his clothes, you can sure smell it later.
    Susan

That's exactly what mine smells and tastes like. I'm curious about the soapy taste that others talk about.

Maybe there are different reasons for excess lipase and that explains the different tastes that happen?
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I let 8 oz stand too long and had to dump it this morning
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos