Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing and biting after work

Default nursing and biting after work

Lately Will has been wanting to nurse for, like, 2 straight hours when I get home from work in the afternoons. I can understand this. But it is hard to stand the constant wriggling and side switching and trying to nurse while standing on his head and the biting! This is a new development. He hasn't bit me since before he turned one. When he bites I firmly tell him "don't bite mommy," and put him down for a minute. He cries hysterically the whole time. I wonder if the biting is because he's bored? My efforts to get him interested in a toy or playing have been to no avail. He just wants to nurse. Anyone experienced this before? What did you do?
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

Default Re: nursing and biting after work

Do you think he has molars coming in?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

When he went for his 15 month check she said he already had all his teeth and that that was very unusual.
    Working mom to

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

That is unusual! Does he sleep really well? We always blame Lilah's bad sleep on teeth and the last one is coming in right now. So now we're saying it's nightmares when she wakes up 8 times in one night.

I bet it is boredom. Lilah did that, but I can't remember at what age. Unfortunately the hysterical crying is the only thing that seems to get through to them. A friend of mine had a son that was really bad about this. She would cry and he would laugh and laugh. Then she would give him a bottle. I think he even drew blood a few times. She stopped giving him the bottle and just started putting him down and I think he got the picture in a day or so.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

if you told him look if you bite me you will not nurse untill after supper do you think he would be more careful?

He gets up about 2 times a night on average which is a lot better than it has been! I will just persist with what I am doing, then, and hope the hysterical crying gets through! I could probably get him to not nurse until after supper if I took him for a walk or outside to play. He loves those things and it would be an answer for the boredom. That is feasible now that the weather is finally, finally starting to show signs of getting warmer. I don't want to wean him, I just am tired of being wrestled and bit. I am moving into uncharted territory with him as I have not nursed my girls this long.
    Working mom to

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months