Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning - going back after a few days

Default Weaning - going back after a few days

I don't remember the exact days because it was going so well and I wanted to be casual about it. I'm weaning my 17 month old. It was party his idea part mine. He would skip a nursing session and not even think about it and I wouldn't remind him or I would try and distract him. He's a really great eater - eats what we eat - so I wasn't worried abut nutrition or calories.

My question is - is it normal or okay for him to go a few *days* without nursing and then ask - and should I be letting him? He goes 2 whole days without thinking about nursing and then he'll cry uncontrollably and ask to nurse. I'm wondering if its better to let him cry and try to distract him or if I should just give in when it becomes apparent that he won't be distracted (and before the tantrum starts). I don't *mind* that he's nursing but I don't want to create any problems and I do want him to wean for good eventually - lol.

Anyone have similar experiences one way or the other?

Thanks!! We've had a great run, this little guy nursing, and I'm sorry to see end but he really thrived. This forum has been a tremendous help for both my little ones!

Default Re: Weaning - going back after a few days

I would certainly let him nurse if he's asking rather than letting him cry, especially if you don't mind continuing for a little while.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Great - thats exactly what I'll do - thanks so much!

*grin*

Thank you

Yep. We would go a few days in the end. Then nurse. Then Stop. Then a week. Then nurse. We had an official date. He had a few relapses. It happens. And don't Ask don't refuse is certainly part of the process. The tears usually mean they still "need" it. So I wouldn't refuse...especially when he seems to be doing so well with NOT needing it on his own. Keep us posted!

Way too lazy for formula

Completely agree with DJ's Mom. It will take time. They will skip a couple days, then come back, skip a few, then come back, then a week, weeks, months. If you are able to let them self-wean on their terms it is truly amazing to watch the growth and development along the journey. Enjoy.

Please keep us posted.
    Alene
    LLL Leader