Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: should i increase DD's bottles?

Default should i increase DD's bottles?

DD is 6 month old and weighs 14#9oz. She weighed 9# 1oz @ birth. Doctor didn't have any concerns about her weight at her 6mo check up and I am not concerned about her weight either. She typically nurses about every 2 hours when w are together and takes a 4oz bottle every 2-4hrs when I am away from her (I work 6pm-6am 3 nights/week and she goes to day care for 5 hrs while I sleep during the day).

I am wondering if I should increase the amount in her bottles. When she finishes her bottles, I am told she gets quite upset. But I also read that many breast fed babies would drink from a bottle, even after they are full. When she was younger, she would sleep for 12hrs straight some nights but she doesn't anymore. She usually wakes up once or twice for a bottle If I'm working or to nurse if I'm home. I realize this might just be her sleeping pattern changing and may have nothing to dfo with her breast milk intake. Should I have my DH give her 5oz in her bedtime bottle? She isn't really taking any solids right now. We are doing BLW and she gets the food to her mouth but spits 99% of it out.

Default Re: should i increase DD's bottles?

You could, though I wouldn't go higher than that. You may also want to check your nipples; esp if they are laytex, they can degrade a bit, so the hole gets bigger and she finishes the bottle faster. I assume you are using the slowest-flow nipple for your bottle?
    Last edited by @llli*jeno; March 25th, 2011 at 05:18 AM. Reason: She, not he ;)
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Yes I am using the slow flow nipples. They are the clear silicone Avent nipples. I thought I remember hearing that breast fed babies typically don't have the amount of their feedings increased. Is this correct? Maybe ill stick with 4oz bottles for day time and a 5oz bottle before bed

I think that's a good idea. If DS ever needs a bottle before bed, I usually give him more than during the day.
    Mom to 3 boys and loving it!
    J born 5/22/10, BF for 1 year
    N & L born 4/10/13