Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Why does it still pinch?

Default Why does it still pinch?

My daughter had a lot of trouble breastfeeding in the beginning. Now, at week 6, she seems like an old pro. Thank goodness! The problem that I am having though is that whenever I feed her on the left breast, it pinches. I have checked the latch and relatched on that side and it seems like everything is okay. But....why does it still pinch and feel unconfortable? I don't have this problem on the right breast so it seems very strange to me...

Default Re: Why does it still pinch?

May I ask where the pinch is (on the nipple or in the breast itself)? Does it occur only on letdown or continue through out the feeding?
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Default pinching

Hi. Sorry to hear your getting pinched. I'm going through the same thing. I get pinched so much on the nipple that it leaves a white stripe. I've been told by a lactation consultant, it's because she needs to open up wider and have more boob in her mouth. I keep trying but it hasn't improved so much I'm just dealing with the pain. This is my second child and I nursed my first one for nine months without this soreness. Does anyone have any advice???

Default Re: pinching

I don't have advise, I'm in the same boat unfortunately! My LO is 4 weeks and I get pinched and have the white crease on my nipple too. Luckily the pain is not as bad now. One thing I read here that helped me, is that I realized I was holding my breast wrong. Since LO lays on his side, I was holding my breast in a C shape, will my fingers pointing to the side. But I've learned to hold my hand in a U shape with the fingers pointing up, and this helps to elongate my nipple and areola more. You can also use the side of your breast to help open the mouth and push the lower lip down when you hold it like this. I'm still working on the latch, but I've found that this is helping me! Good luck, I'll be reading your thread to hopefully get more help too.

The pinching is on the nipple itself. I tried holding my little girl in a different position (the football hold) earlier today and that seemed to help. However, when I went back to my standard baby holding position (the cross cradle hold) I experienced the nipple pain again. Next time I nurse on my left, I will try holding my hand in a U shape. Hopefully, this will help with the pain.
    Last edited by Vanzer; October 27th, 2006 at 02:00 AM.

I had the same thing go on for awhile. Continue to encourage opening the mouth all the way and when it's open, push that little head on quickly. The football hold worked better for me on that side too. Good luck.

Hi there

If the football hold helped, then by all means use it!

For the cross-cradle hold, you might try some minor positioning adjustments--raise baby up a pillow, move her so her head is a little closer to the arm on the side you are feeding, etc. This is a good job for a partner or family member to help with!

HTH
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!