Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does anyone experience this?

Default Does anyone experience this?

Once in every of my cycles, probably ever since DD turned 1 (she's now 17.5MO), my milk supply decreases. Sometimes drops moderately, sometimes (like this time, right now) it is reduced almost to drops . Such a spell lasts for days. It is frustrating. My DD only drinks BM and water and she doesn't even like drinking water. She is still nursing 8-12x/day.

Also, while all the previous times it occurred around the time of ovulation and by the time I started my period my supply was almost back to normal, this time it occurred about a week AFTER ovulation and has lasted till now, the second day into my period (it's been a week). My supply is still nowhere near normal.

I read on kellymom about taking a calcium supplement. But I'm already taking 1000mg calcium with magnesium daily because I am dairy-free. I have also been drinking Mother's Milk Tea and started taking fenugreek yesterday since I'm SO impatient to get my supply back.

And I don't know why I started having this problem after DD turned 1 whereas my period came back at 2 months PP and I never had this problem at all.

Does anyone else have the same problem? Any input would be much appreciated!

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...

Default Re: Does anyone experience this?

Sorry, no help -- but I'd be interested in any input, seems like this problem describes what I experience, too.
    In His Love, Rosie

Graicen Wynter
    1-6-10 at 11:48pm
    7 lb. 12 oz

sorry mama, i haven't experienced anything like this. i hope the fenugreek works for you.. it always shot my supply up right away. you could always pump, too.. even though pumping (esp when they're at this age) can be a hassle if you've put the pump away long ago..

the best food blog you aren't reading

i'm beth, mama to:

lila, 11/6/08, nursed until 2yrs 10 mos, weaned during pregnancy

-and-

max, 2/16/12, my huge new little nursling

I emailed Dr. Jack Newman yesterday and he said to try domperidome or malunggay. I'm going for the latter since I currently don't have a doctor to write a prescription for domperidome.

It is possible that the milk production decreases with the menstrual cycle, but it is usual I would think. You can try taking domperidone to increase your supply. I presume you are not pregnant as you are having regular periods, but if you are domperidone will not work. Also, domperidone may stop your periods or make them irregular. Some mothers have used malunggay with success. See the website of Golacta.com if you want to get that.

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...

I'm really no help either but I know that when I did have a cycle, my output decreased for both ovulation and menstruation. It wouldn go back up to normal sometime during af. And then the whole 'cycle' would start over again. I've been taking domperidone since October and it has helped tremendously. Without it, I don't think I'd still be nursing. Still it seams like when it would be time to ovulate or get af, my supply drops some but not nearly as much as it did before I started the domperidone. I'm so glad you posted this also cause the info that you got back from Dr. Newman really helped me out in my question that I had about my cycle disappearing after 3 normal ones.

Hope whatever you try works for you!
    Last edited by @llli*momtotjandrj; March 25th, 2011 at 11:32 AM.
    Christina
    Mom to DS, my precious angel boy Timothy Jayden (T.J.) Nov '08 21w5d
    Mom to DD Rylee Janae (1) (3/15/10 5lbs 14 1/2 oz, 18 1/4" long) while working full-time. We are a and family.