Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3.5 Month old EBF baby feeds only when sleeping. Refuses feeds while awake. Please He

Default 3.5 Month old EBF baby feeds only when sleeping. Refuses feeds while awake. Please He

Hi,

My 3.5 month old baby is EBF baby. I have forceful lerdown and oversupply.
    If he is awake, And when I try to feed, he will hungrily open his mouth and take 4-5 sucks and then stretch himself and cry.He does'nt want his milk, does not cry when hungry and sometimes stays without milk for as high as 4-6 hours in day time. Even when he is not feeding he is normally a happy child and infact gets distresses and cries if I try to feed him. he does not come for nursing to me even though he is hungry when he is awake. He moves his head away , and cries if i feed him when he is awake. I have to rock him to sleep and then he takes his feed. Since he feeds well only when sleeping I have not stopped his night feeds even though he does not cry for milk. The doctor said he does not hv reflux. I am confused and want him to feed while awake rather than develop a behavioural pattern of feeding only while sleeping. Since he is EBF baby , i did not introduce bottle for him, i started introducing bottle when he was 2 months old, but he refuses bottle too till today.Please Help.

This is happening for almost 3 weeks and past 3 weeks he takes only 7 feedings per day and today he has taken only 3 feedings for past 16 hours. I raised this prob to pediatrician and she says he does not hv reflux. he pops 2 or 3 times and 8 wet diapers. Please Help. Is he weaning? anyone else facing this issue , any solutions, advice, suggestions??

Default Re: 3.5 Month old EBF baby feeds only when sleeping. Refuses feeds while awake. Pleas

could be alot of reverse cycling going on and thats ok...

more info here:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html

as long as your seeing the wets and poops you need to see then hes doing fine!

Thumbs up Re: 3.5 Month old EBF baby feeds only when sleeping. Refuses feeds while awake. Pleas

hi my baby is almost 11 months old and will not feed while awake he will eat for a few min then pops off and will get mad if i try to put him back on. but he eats great on baby food and only wants to BF when he is sleepy he also will not take a bottle if it has milk in it only juice or other drinks that he drinks. So you see i kinda know what you are going through. it is frustrating but just remember that he will eat when he is hungery and just keep trying im still trying till this day to get him to eat when hes up. OH and just something to try i feed him as soon as he starts waking up and he eats better then also. i dont get him up untill he eats at least 10 mins after waking up. that seems to help my LO. So he eats as hes going to sleep some while he is sleeping and then when he wakes up.
    Last edited by @llli*lovinglevi; March 30th, 2011 at 03:39 PM.

Default Re: 3.5 Month old EBF baby feeds only when sleeping. Refuses feeds while awake. Pleas

Hi! my baby girl is 8 months old now and we have gone through the same thing, only she has been refusing to nurse while awake for almost 5,5 months... I know, it does sound crazy She has laryngomalacia which affected her nursing, she would choke on milk all the time and cry. So my husband or me would rock her until half asleep stage and then she would nurse. I was in the room with her while she was asleep and wait until she started waking up so I would nurse her right away. During the night time she was fine, enjoyed her milk every 2 hours. Even if she was asleep I would wake up and nurse her.
    At about 5 months I decided to start a new position, laying down with her and was making faces, singing, telling her stories. Gradually, probably in 3 weeks (she was almost 5.5 months at that time) after I started new position she started nursing more eagerly. Then we could move to a pillow (she hates being held and nursing at the same time) and by 6.5 months she started showing me that she wanted to nurse The older they get the better they understand. I am sure it will pass in your case too. Try talking to her, singing, dim the light, rock a little.
    Oh and I also started rocking her less and less, so she would not be asleep by the time I put her on a breast.
    That link about reverse cycling is very good

Default Re: 3.5 Month old EBF baby feeds only when sleeping. Refuses

My four month old has been doing this for almost two months now. We have tried everything. I just want reassurance/hope that he will get enough only nursing while sleeping. He's starting to sleep less and less, obviously, and I'm so scared! Help from a parent whose been through this is do needed right now!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*momnew10 View Post
    Is he weaning? anyone else facing this issue , any solutions, advice, suggestions??
    Babies do not self wean usually before 2 and maybe not even 2.5. Sounds like you have something going on with forceful letdown, and perhaps block feeding could help? http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

Wow now I'm seeing this was a couple of years ago! Well I hope that link was helpful for someone else with the same problem...