Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pulling off while BF? Why??

Question Pulling off while BF? Why??

My 13 week old was a great feeder till about two weeks ago. He started to fuss while being feed. Now he pulls off after feeding for about 4 minutes. He tries to relatch, sucks a few times and pulls off. He will do this for a bit untill he starts to cry. Then I burp him and try the other side. He usually will feed for less time, maybe 1.5 mintues and then start to pull off again. He seemed to be so cranky during the day. Today I gave him a bottle after a feeding and he drank 4 additional ounces and then was much happier during the day. I have tried other positions. Could the mini pill still affect nursing despit what it says? Any other thoughts as to what it could be??

Smile Re: Pulling off while BF? Why??

i havent started the mini pill yet but my ds is 6 wks old and he does the same thing! on and off, on and off. i thought he had to burp but he screams when i try. thought it was OLAD but hes not gagging or choking. mostly now im wondering ifhes getting enough. he has plently of pee's/poops and weight gain is good though so i guess thats not it.

hows ur ds/dd weight gain and pees/poops?

also from what ive read on this board formula is heavier then bm so he will be satisified quicker and for longer. he dosent have too work at getting it BUT i do see where your coming from by giving it to him bc ive close to doing it to.
    by giving him bm it could mess up your supply esp if its a growth spurt.

i would to see love to see what other moms have say!

Default Re: Pulling off while BF? Why??

My DS has about four BM's a day and too many pee's to count!! His weight I think is good. His last weigh in was at 9 weeks and he was 14 pounds. So I think he is doing well. It was just that he seemed to be cranky during the day. But I noticed someone on the boards said babies can be cranky during a growth spurt and we would be due for one around now... I also meant to mention when he is asleep and I feed him, he feeds very well and doesn't fuss...this confuses me more. It's just so frustrating. I want that bond but am so nervous about it that I dread the feedings. I long for the days when he feed for 20 minutes at a time on both sides. Then at least I was confident he was eating enough and happy. UGH.

I had a plugged duct and my son was doing that while breastfeeding because he wasn't getting enough, if you're afraid he's not getting enough breast pump to see how much you're producing.

lol my ds also does fine at night! which is why i was wondering if im making enough during the day.

the last 2 days he hasnt slept during the days expect for 10 mn catnaps in my arms bc i cant lay him down. last night he slept from 9pm-3:30 then ate for an hr (both sides) then was out again at 4:30, up at i guess 9ish adn has been up since. the plus to this is that im sleeping better but the downside is nothing gets down during the day. dh is working full time and hes tired when he gets home. hes been great about helping but i sill feel bad about it.

ohh forgot to add that by about 5ish my breasts feel soft. i dont think i plugged duct at all.

Question Re: Pulling off while BF? Why??

Hi Owen's Mom,

I am wondering what kind of bowel movements he is having. If they are green and frothy, it could be that he is getting too much fore milk. This could be an overactive letdown, which would make him pull off, & cause gas and discomfort. It could also explain why he feeds better at night if you are lying down, not so much pull of gravity to increase the let down. I would suggest trying to nurse during the day in a postition that works against gravity, may be a little awkward, but could help. Also, offer one breast for a longer time frame, don't switch unless he has really gotten a good long nurse. If you express a little milk at the beginning of a feeding it will be thin, almost blue in color. If he has gotten to the hind milk, it will be thick, creamy, and white. Just some thoughts...

Good luck, keep it up!

- Chelsea

Babies fuss for a variety of reasons. They pull off the breast for a variety of reasons as well. However, baby guzzling down a bottle after being at the breast for any length of time is not an indication of a supply issue in mom. Sucking/swallowing is a reflex. A suck prompts a swallow which prompts another suck. And the pump is not a good indication of supply either. A baby is always more efficient at pulling milk out of the breast than even the best pump on the market. By giving baby milk in a bottle, you are usually making it easier for him to get milk. When he nurses directly he has to work for it. Formula is lower in calories than breastmilk but because it's made from cow's milk, the proteins in it are large and therefore harder to digest. This is why a formula-fed baby may go longer periods of time between feedings than a breastfed baby.

All that said, let's explore the main reasons a baby may pull off of the breast (not all-inclusive and not in order of priority):

1. Thrush
    2. OALD (overactive let down)
    3. Too slow of let down (baby is hungry and impatient!)
    4. Baby is done nursing
    5. Baby doesn't like the position
    6. Baby doesn't like that breast
    7. Baby isn't hungry
    8. Baby has received bottles and has developed a preference for them
    9. Growth spurt

I agree with the others that it's a good idea for us to know what baby's wet diaper output. That gives us an indication as to whether he's getting enough milk. If he's not getting enough then it very well could be the mini-pill affecting your supply.

I hope this helps as a starting point to figure out what the issue is. A lot of times though these things just pass all on their own. But do try to work through it and keep your confidence up. You're doing a great job!

In case anyone is still checking, my son's BM's are usually orangey and curdly. Although occasionally he has an orange poop that looks really dry. First thing this morning. he had a BM that was almost green and looked thick. I checked my breast after he finished feeding and it appeared to be hind milk (thick and white). Thanks for all the help.