Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Change in Breastfeeding - almost 4 months old

Default Change in Breastfeeding - almost 4 months old

My baby is almost 4 months old and after getting the hang of things we got nursing down. There were no issues and infact it got better, she became more efficient. All of a sudden, the past 4-5 days when she nurses she within minutes spits it all up then for an hour after she continues to spit up.
    While I am at work she takes the bottle (expressed milk) and has no problems.
    Could it be that my flow is too fast for her? If so, any suggestions on how to improve nursing so she doesn't spit everything up in minutes of finishing a feeding?

I tried feeding from one breast and that works at night but not in the morning when I have to go to work.

Suggestions - PLEASE! I'm stressed!

Default Re: Change in Breastfeeding - almost 4 months old

Try not to stress, mama! It is very unlikely that your baby is truly spitting up everything that she just ate. For an experiment, take 2-3 oz of water (a good estimate of intake @ the breast) and pour the entire thing onto the floor. Now try it on one of your shirts. I bet you'll be surprised about how much room it takes up.

Is the spit up projectile, like The Exorcist?

As far as whether your milk is too fast, does she cough/gag/choke/sputter during feeds? If not, it's either not too fast or she has learned to compensate.

If she seems happy, and is continuing to have a good amount of wet/dirties, I wouldn't worry. Even if she does have a stomach bug or something, you would still just nurse through it. Good luck!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thank you so much for the advice/support. After it is all out of her, she is content and playful and gets fussy again only because its her next feeding time.

It's not projectile vomitting. It just pours out of her mouth.

I'm torn between:
    1. Continue as is - in hopes that it will resolve itself?
    2. Feed only from one breast and switch off for feedings?
    3. Change her nipple size 2 during the day so the flow is faster like my breast?

Why does this have to be so confusing!!

You wouldn't think something this natural could be this hard, would you. That's what these boards are for

I would not ever switch from the lowest flow nipple. You don't want your baby to develop a bottle preference. Most mamas on here will tell you that their babies will stay on Stage 1 nipples until they wean to cups.

I would just stock up on laundry detergent and roll with it.

Oh, and
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thank you - I guess I will just go with the flow for a week and see what happens. Thanks again!!

So I don't need to worry about her getting too much foremilk vs hindmilk (which is what a LC suggested)??

Thanks all for your help. This site is great!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nisha767 View Post
    So I don't need to worry about her getting too much foremilk vs hindmilk (which is what a LC suggested)??

Thanks all for your help. This site is great!
    Only if you are seeing consistently green, foamy poops and excessive fussiness/gassiness.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous