Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My Babies weight gain.

Default My Babies weight gain.

Hiya, Tyreece is now 19weeks, he was 7lb 5oz when he was born, and i just got him weighed today and he is 14lb 5oz. He only put on 6oz in the last 2 weeks. Im concerned that his weight gain has slowed down alot. He is my fourth child, and in contrast my other children were a couple pounds heavier at this age, and seemed to gain alot more each week. Do you think this weight gain is normal for a Totally BF baby? My Health Visitor was pleased with his weight and said he is coming along nicely, but im not so sure.

Default Re: My Babies weight gain.

I think the weight looks great. I know around 4 months they begin to slow in their weight gain. Keep in mind that the "expected goal" is to double their weight by 6 months - which your lo has nearly done! So I'd say it sounds good. But I know what you mean, I have been worried about my lo's weight, so easier to say "don't worry" than to do it. But really, the overall picture looks great to me!

Paula

I know in the beginning we look for 1/2 an ounce to an ounce a day, but there is some time when they slow down and four months may be it.... If he is meeting his milestones, and happy I would try not to worry, there is a great article called "Look at the baby not the scales" by Dr. Jay Gordon, here is the linkhttp://www.drjaygordon.comI had a very little one and this article really helped to reassure me

The Breastfeeding Answer Book lists average weight gain for a BF baby as about 6 ounces per week for the first 3-4 months, 4-5 ounces per week from 4-6 months, and 2-4 ounces per week from 6-12 months. It also states that the typical BF baby will double birthweight by 5-6 months and then reach about 2 1/2 times birthweight by one year. So, your baby seems to be right on track . I wouldn't worry about the 6 ounces being a little below the averages listed above, babies can gain a bunch for a week or two, then less for a bit. It isn't always perfectly steady growth. Your baby has almost doubled birthweight and isn't yet to 6 months, so everything sounds pretty good to me.