Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pump weaning b/c of daycare

Default pump weaning b/c of daycare

My son is 8.5mths old and currently at his daycare they will not give him breastmilk after he is 12mths old he will only receive whole cows milk.

I am currently pumping 2-3X a day at work and always get the 15oz that he takes every day. At home he has one meal and we nurse on demand. I was planning on pump weaning at 12mths anyways, but now that I finding out that he will not get any breastmilk at day when he turns 12mths, I'm thinking I should be weaning sooner. I dont want to waste my milk so when and how should I start pump weaning to make sure that I can supply him the milk up to 12mths old?

I have 73.5oz frozen in the freezer (btw...how long does it stay good for in the freezer? I believe my latest bag is from the end of November). I would really like to continue nursing him during the evenings after work and on the weekends, will pump weaning decrease my supply for the evenings...will I become engorged during the day until I get home with the baby? I don't have to give it all up do I?

Any help or suggestions would be great!
    Thanks!!
    Baby boy Caps 10 Jul 10

Birthday: 7lb 6oz
    2months: 13lb 9oz
    4months: 16lb 8oz
    6months: 18lb 2oz
    9months: 22lbs

I at work on demand at home to make up for lost time while I'm at work!!

feel like a and lovin it!

Default Re: pump weaning b/c of daycare

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommacaps View Post
    My son is 8.5mths old and currently at his daycare they will not give him breastmilk after he is 12mths old he will only receive whole cows milk.
    WHAT?!!! That's ridiculous. I would speak to the daycare provider and see if you can find a way to get them to feed your baby your milk. If not, I would do my best to find a caregiver who will. You're not asking them to do something that is unhealthy for the baby, nor is it particularly onerous for them to offer breastmilk instead of cow's milk.

I was planning on pump weaning at 12mths anyways, but now that I finding out that he will not get any breastmilk at day when he turns 12mths, I'm thinking I should be weaning sooner. I dont want to waste my milk so when and how should I start pump weaning to make sure that I can supply him the milk up to 12mths old?
    I'd only pump wean now if you absolutely cannot get the daycare to give your baby your milk or you cannot find an alternate daycare provider who will. As to when you start pump weaning... That's kind of a tough question because you don't know how fast you're going to go through your freezer stash or how much dropping pumping sessions will impact your supply.

I have 73.5oz frozen in the freezer (btw...how long does it stay good for in the freezer?
    Storage guidelines: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/m...e.html#storage I think the guidelines for frozen milk are minimums. I've seen it suggested that milk in a deep freeze is good for a year.

I would really like to continue nursing him during the evenings after work and on the weekends, will pump weaning decrease my supply for the evenings...
    Pump weaning may impact your evening supply. In general, you can pump wean and still have enough for the baby when you're together at night, but at 8.5 months my gut says it's a bit early to take the chance that you might not have enough milk at night. The other thing to consider is weekends. Pump weaning essentially trains your body to make a lot less milk during the day, and that might mean supply troubles during the day on the weekend.

will I become engorged during the day until I get home with the baby? I don't have to give it all up do I?
    You ABSOLUTELY do not have to give up nursing!!! You'll find a way to make it work. Once your LO is a year old, you can probably pump wean without fear that your LO won't get enough when nursing.

If you decide to pump wean, you may experience some difficulties with engorgement. You can't go from expressing 15 oz to nothing in a day! You need to wean gradually, dropping one session, waiting a few days for your supply to adjust downwards, and then dropping another session.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think it's ridiculous that your daycare won't give him breast milk past a year. Why do they care? There's a baby in my son's room that is still getting breast milk, and he (the baby) is 15 mos.

I'd talk to the director about it, and if they still refuse I would switch providers.

Anyway, /rant

To answer your question, I would continue to pump until at least a year, because pump-weaning this early may hurt your supply. You can freeze the extra to give to him after he turns one when you DO pump-wean; you can give it to him in a sippy at meal times.

Milk can be good in a standard freezer (separate compartment from fridge) for 4-6 mos, deep freeze for a year. I'd start using that November milk.

When you DO, pump wean, you can do it by reducing the time you pump, then gradually eliminating sessions. How quickly you can do this will depend on your "storage" capacity - how much can you hold before becoming engorged, how prone are you to plugged ducts, etc.

ETA: or like what mommal said
    Last edited by @llli*jeno; March 24th, 2011 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Mommal beat me again!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I can't believe your DCP won't give breastmilk after a year! WHY??

Even if that's the case, I wouldn't recommend pump weaning until closer to a year. I think 8.5 months could be early, and you would risk losing your supply. It's better to have too much milk in the freezer (and toss some) than to lose your supply. I would say, wait until 11 months at least, and then take it slowly, eliminating one pumping at a time, or shortening/postponing sessions until you can go without pumping all day.

One reason a year is a good marker is that most women have a very well established, stable, flexible supply by then. So you can pump wean, and not lose your evening and weekend supply. But if you do it too early, it's more risky.

While the option of relying on your stash and pump weaning early has its appeal, I don't think it's worth it.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

thank you so much for the replies!

There is actually a meeting with the nutrionist for the daycare to go over some of the issues for the babies diets...after 12 months they don't give the babies any formula or breastmilk, they give them actual table food...luckily my son already has 6 teeth...but he's not too good at eating food, he still chokes on everything! we're getting there! The meeting is scheduled for 4 April and the breastmilk being supplied to the babies is one of the things that will be brought up. This meeting has been postponed since January though...hopefully it still happens!!

We have a pretty good supply...going from an oversupply to I believe what is normalcy...but I do not want to lose my supply by pump weaning, I want to be able to nurse him as long as he wants to nurse!

Thank you for the suggestion to put the milk into a suppie cup for him...! I will most likely stick with my original plan to pump until 12mths and then pump wean. The extra milk that I may have I always have the option to donate!
    Baby boy Caps 10 Jul 10

Birthday: 7lb 6oz
    2months: 13lb 9oz
    4months: 16lb 8oz
    6months: 18lb 2oz
    9months: 22lbs

I at work on demand at home to make up for lost time while I'm at work!!

feel like a and lovin it!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommacaps View Post
    I will most likely stick with my original plan to pump until 12mths and then pump wean. The extra milk that I may have I always have the option to donate!
    I think that's a terrific plan. Definitely the most conservative option, but I think it pays to play it safe with our little ones!

I hope the meeting with the DCP yields fruit. I can't believe they won't provide breastmilk or formula past a year. Really, my head is spinning over that one!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hows your ped on breastfeeding? Could you get a Drs note saying your son should continue to receive breastmilk after 1 year?

Eta: us the daycare issue bottles? They could give your milk in a cup instead. Even cold if they refuse to warm it.

Sorry for not replying to the pump weaning. I think you will get the info you need for that here if it comes to it. But I'm just so shocked at the daycares position.

Do you nurse him at drop off or pick up? If not maybe telling them you will might change their mind? You should be able to nurse him no problem but if they're against expressed bm after a year I can't imagine how they'd feel about you actually nursing him.
    Last edited by @llli*babylove; March 24th, 2011 at 10:37 AM.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

My daycare says the same thing I have this huge stash in the freezer that I was planning on bringing to daycare, just like I did with DS1. When I brought up the question the director was actually disgusted and said 'we have to treat it like blood' I was pissed. We are on the waiting list for a daycare that DOES allow bm after one year, but it may be too late by the time we get in, DS2 will be 1yr in 4 weeks But at least I can donate it to my sister for her return to work.

I hope you can work it out!! Good luck!! Don't take NO for an answer

Um, that's insane. And inappropriate.

That aside, I would NOT pump wean this early if you don't want to lose your supply. I pump weaned at 14 months and it really didn't take a long time. You can use the extra milk to dump into cows milk container that you provide your DCP with Just say you need unpasturized/unhomogenized milk, that's why it looks funny
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amberlina View Post
    My daycare says the same thing I have this huge stash in the freezer that I was planning on bringing to daycare, just like I did with DS1. When I brought up the question the director was actually disgusted and said 'we have to treat it like blood' I was pissed. We are on the waiting list for a daycare that DOES allow bm after one year, but it may be too late by the time we get in, DS2 will be 1yr in 4 weeks But at least I can donate it to my sister for her return to work.

I hope you can work it out!! Good luck!! Don't take NO for an answer

But if they have to treat it like blood, what suddenly changes the "blood" at one year?

I am just dumbfounded by this!!!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it