Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to increase nutrition for my picky 15mo?

Default Re: How to increase nutrition for my picky 15mo?

hows her iron levels? Sometimes when their iron levels are low they don't eat much solid foods.

maybe shes eating more at day care then you think?
    have you kept track over a week or more?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbirdie22 View Post

I keep thinking I should by a freeze drier and just everything into chips LOL!

sounds like you've got a new home business in the works! Chips for the picky eater!
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    hows her iron levels? Sometimes when their iron levels are low they don't eat much solid foods.

maybe shes eating more at day care then you think?
    have you kept track over a week or more?
    Her iron was tested at her 12mo visit and was fine. We are almost out of vitamin so I could get one with added iron and see if that helps.

We get a daily log at daycare plus they send home her lunch bag with the leftovers so we have a good idea of what she does and doesn't eat. Yesterday I sent frozen blueberries, applesauce, yogurt, 1/2 bagel, a separate container with pj&j in it, and booty. She ate the yogurt for breakfast, 1/2 of the bagel piece (so 1/4 plain bagel) and some of the applesauce for lunch, and booty for afternoon snack. She wouldn't touch the fruit or pj&j. Then last night she basically refused everything we offered for dinner and the proceeded to nurse to bed like she had been starved for days.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Could you try putting the applesauce on the toast? Like apple butter? Maybe that would ease her into it. what about other fruit purées on a bagel etc? Any nut butters??

My DD hates meat. Unless it's pork. Which warms my wife's heart because she's from Chicago and a die-hard pork lover.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

My 16 month old is picky about fruits and veggies too. DS1 was so different, he lived off fruits and beans. We have just continued to try fruits and veggies in different forms, even if he won't eat them fresh. He will eat dried and freeze dried fruit. We also discovered recently that he will eat salsa as though it is a soup. We have started giving him guacamole to eat because it is very dense in nutrients and it helps him poop which has been an issue for him. One thing I noticed with DS2 is that he likes really strong flavors, spicy, tangy, garlicky, and he will eat a lot of things in a more flavorful form that he wouldn't eat bland. For instance he loves hummus, but won't eat chickpeas. He loves the sauerkraut from our farmer's market, but does not eat cabbage in other forms. That might not work for your DD, but for us it has just been a lot of trial and error.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

have you tried whole (or stick) veggies? raw green beans and carrots have lots of snap and crunch, celery too
    and fish? both my kids love fish sticks and salmon

with Beth that my kids prefer flavor food (veggies stir fried with some form of curry was always a favourite)

Was this the npr story? to-win-toddler-food-battles-take-a-softer-approach
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Thanks all for the continued suggestions. I'm taking notes LOL!

So last night I worked late and thus DH was on his own with the girls for dinner. I get home and learn that DD2 ate a ton of rice and black beans that were leftover from the night before burrito dinner. And yet the night before she absolutely refused to even touch the rice or let it near her mouth. I was thrilled to hear she ate it. We had more leftover that I sent in today for her daycare lunch but I'd bet money that it'll come home uneaten. She'll probably do it just to spite me LOL!

She has eaten white fish, salmon, fish nuggets in the past but again, ate them once and then not again. We have tried raw, slightly cooked and very cooked veggies and other than the one time she ate soup and the other time she ate stew it's been a no go. We garden so I'm eager for the summer when we can offer her peas, beans, etc straight from the garden.

I'm wondering if she'd drink a smoothy. This could be a way to get some fruits and veggies into her. I'll have to give it a try.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

yeah and I think sometimes at day care they are rushed and there is just so much more fun stuff to do besides eat...
    she knows what she needs leave the eating up to her.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    yup!

So last night I worked late and thus DH was on his own with the girls for dinner. I get home and learn that DD2 ate a ton of rice and black beans that were leftover from the night before burrito dinner. And yet the night before she absolutely refused to even touch the rice or let it near her mouth. I was thrilled to hear she ate it. We had more leftover that I sent in today for her daycare lunch but I'd bet money that it'll come home uneaten. She'll probably do it just to spite me LOL!
    if you read the article, it'll say that sometimes it takes babies multiple times to be ok with a food, so the above would seem to make sense.

Personally i would go with that approach rather thna trying to concoct everything under the sun -- your daughter will be expecting gourmet meals by the time she's two that would suck.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Thanks all for the continued suggestions. I'm taking notes LOL!

She has eaten white fish, salmon, fish nuggets in the past but again, ate them once and then not again. We have tried raw, slightly cooked and very cooked veggies and other than the one time she ate soup and the other time she ate stew it's been a no go. We garden so I'm eager for the summer when we can offer her peas, beans, etc straight from the garden.

I'm wondering if she'd drink a smoothy. This could be a way to get some fruits and veggies into her. I'll have to give it a try.
    DS2 will do what you described as well. He'll go crazy for something one day, and then the next day not want it. It can be very frustrating! Good luck with everything.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine