Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cluster feeding

Cool Cluster feeding

Has anyone ever heard of cluster feeding? If so what does it mean? My parents as teachers told me to try it to help get my baby to sleep through the night again. She said to "cluster" feed at night?

Default Re: Cluster feeding

Cluster feeding means feeding more often in a shorter period of time...like in the last few hours of the day. If your LO eats every 3 hours during the day, start feeding him every 1 or 2 for the last several hours before bedtime. Tank him up!

Here are some great links about cluster feeding:

Cluster Feeding

And LLL says:

"Some mothers are concerned when their baby wants to breastfeed more often than every two hours. "During the early months, many babies do what is called 'cluster feeding;' spacing feedings closer together at certain times of the day (typically during the evening) and going longer between feedings at other times" (BAB, p. 36). This variability in frequency is normal. Moreover, many breastfeeding problems -- including those attributed to "too much milk" or "not enough milk" -- are resolved with more frequent nursing.

Babies who breastfeed frequently (as long as they are latched on correctly) tend to get plenty of milk because their mothers' milk supplies have been boosted by the frequent stimulation. Research now shows that restricting the amount of time at the breast and extending the time between feedings can reduce not only a mother's milk supply, but also the fat content of her milk -- resulting in a hungry, crying baby."

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Red face Re: Cluster feeding

Thanks for the great replys!! I will definetly try that! Usually when I'm home with her in the evenings (I work during the day) I feed her as often as she wants, but I will watch the times more closely tonight. Thanks again!

My experiences with Cluster Feeding were child led and not intentional or within my realm of control while following the "feed on demand" principal. THey did generally take place at night as my child was still nocturnal at this point in his life...but it occurred for me whenever he was working on readjusting my milk supply. It was very primal. It happed in the hospital in the 2nd night when he was trying to make my milk come in, the 1st two weeks non-stop, for around 3 or 4days at the 3week & six week points, and now to some extent, whenever he teethes. If those early days, you could NOT take him off the breast for HOURS. If you would try to unlatch the sleeping child you were met w/ big popped open eyes and and a huge wide O mouth like this Yes that's what he looked like every time I tried to take him off my breast when he was instinctively working to up my supply. And while sometimes when he's clusterfeeding at night due to teeth he will pop on and off and really try to sleep there have been more nights than I can count on one hand since he's been teething (which began at 6months and he's now 10 months old) where has has wanted to literally stay attached to me for 4 and 5hr stretches!!
    (That's me!!!)So sometimes the baby will lead the cluster feeding and it won't help you sleep at all!

My DS also did the cluster feeding thing a lot when up until he was about 6 weeks old. It was all on demand though, like DJ's mom said...it wasn't up to me!
    Jenny
    Mama to Jacob , born 6/11/06
    And his NEW baby brother , born 8/14/08

, , , cloth diapering

My little one also still cluster feeds every evening ... she nurses about 8 times between the hours of 7pm and 11pm! And it's totally her doing ... always has been. And it doesn't help her sleep through the night. She nurses on and off all night long, sometimes more than others ... so by morning we will have nursed anywhere from 8-14 times. You can't schedule cluster feeding ... it's a baby driven thing. I guess I should have stated that earlier when I gave the "definition" of cluster feeding. Oops!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Wow! I had NO idea that a baby could nurse so often! You must walk around topless! And be comfortable NIP! I always complain b/c I have to feed my DD my millk in a bottle, and is mostly FF. But good for you! It sounds like you work so hard to give your DD the very best!