Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple pain...at 14 months?

Default Nipple pain...at 14 months?

When my DD latched on tonight, I winced in pain. We haven't had any problems in months. A few days ago, I noticed some discomfort on my right side, thought maybe mastitis had returned, and nursed her more on that side. Things have not gotten better.

I don't think we have thrush again although the skin does look a little dry/shiny and DD is on antibiotics for the first time in her life. I have also noticed some, er, thickness or lumps deep in the breast tissue under the nipple. I have recently stopped pumping at work. Is this some freak kind of mastitis? Is this common as we begin the (slow) weaning process?

I am not sure if I need to make an appointment with a lactation consultant, wait it out, or see my doctor. Although my doctor is very supportive of breastfeeding, she admits her ignorance on some matters and usually makes a referral to a lactation consultant.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! Everyone in this forum has been so good to me!

Default Re: Nipple pain...at 14 months?

Lumps or masses under the skin of the breast make me think that you may have a plugged duct (link covers treatments).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Has af returned? Or could you be ovulating? Both of those things make me super sore, so for a few days twice a month nursing is painful, but it just goes away on its own.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

plugged duct or yeast?

get it checked out soon!
    First time mom, practicing on demand and !

Born 10/26/09
    6lb 9oz

If Im not and cloth diapers, Im or !

with possible clogged ducts
    Also, is your LO teething? At around that age DD's molars were coming in and her latch changed for a while like if it bothered her to get a good suction, therefore, giving me clogged ducts.
    Hope it gets better soon.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nsm View Post
    Has af returned? Or could you be ovulating? Both of those things make me super sore, so for a few days twice a month nursing is painful, but it just goes away on its own.
    when mine came back it was sore on one side only
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

could you be pg? the lumps do make me think clogged ducts.

I get frequent plugged ducts in the second+ years of bfing. The best way for me to get rid of them is massage and hand expression at the end of a hot shower. I can often see "gloppy" milk/fat coming out. It stays sore for a couple of days, but gets better.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.