Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: antibiotics = sick baby?

Default antibiotics = sick baby?

I have been taking antibiotics for the past 2 days for an infected breast. Baby has been fussy off and on today. My friend took care of him for a few hours while I went to the Dr. While I was gone, he projectile vommitted. Could my infection or the antibiotics be hurting his little tummy?

Default Re: antibiotics = sick baby?

Does baby have a fever?
    How old? Alot of the time they will throw up for no good reason.

Abx can affect baby's tummy

BOTH of you should be taking probiotics.

For baby you can mix with a little breastmilk and give using a medicine dropper or syringe.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Baby projectile vomitted again, so I called his dr and she said to take him into the ER. We don't know for sure what is wrong yet. He isn't really fussy - well no more than usual. The doctor said it could either be that he is getting an upset tummy from the antibiotics I am on or he could have pyloric stenosis. Which is when the muscle between his stomach and his intestines doesn't let the food through and he has to throw up becuase he has too much food in his stomach. We are going in for an ultrasound at a local children's hospital tomorrow. If that is the problem, he will have to have outpatient surgery. I am hoping it is just the antibiotics. In the mean time, I am going to feed him some of my pre-antibiotics milk, just in case. I will pump and then keep the milk in a separate place and see if it is the antibiotics that is affecting him. Then I am not sure what I will do, I don't want to feed him formula, but I also don't want him to throw up everything I feed him.

He is only 7 weeks old. He doesn't have a fever.
    What are probiotics, and how do I get them. I gave him some tummy time stuff about 30 minutes before he projectile vommitted the second time.

What does everyone suggest I do about this?

Unless I am mistaken (sleep deprived so maybe) Probiotics would be thing like accidopholous cultures. They are the good bacterias that live in your gut, that antibiotics kill. Sorry for the really bad spelling. Sleepless nights around here lately.

Oh and edit, you can find them at healthfood or wholefoods stores.