Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car traveling with LO

Default Car traveling with LO

Hi Everyone,

Im a new mother to a little 7 week old boy I just have a few questions about traveling in a car with him. Im going to be traveling about 8 hrs away from home and would like some advise on how to continue to breastfeed/bottles with BM him during the car ride and while away from home. So my questions are:
    - How should I plan to feed him during the car ride? My parents are driving and my partner and I will be sitting in the back with our DS. I just dont feel comfortable trying to lean over the carseat and BF that way. I was thinking about bringing some BM in a bottle and give it to him if needed? We plan on stopping every 3 hours or so to BF but just incase we need to go longer than that I would like another option.
    - While on vacation, Im not sure how often I can stop to BF him so I was thinking about pumping and giving him a bottle when needed? An example of our day during vacation would be: Out of the house around 8 or 9am and be in a very public/populated area for the rest of the day until 8pm. Im just not that comfortable yet with BF in public so when I can I will probably sneak off to a room or the car to BF. However, there will be maybe a couple days where I will need to use bottled BM during the whole day. In that case I plan on BF right before leaving the house, so that would leave us about 8 hours where I will need to bottle feed him. Im just not 100% about how to go along with pumping and keeping my supply up? How many times min. would I have to sneak off to pump during that 8-10hr day? Right now he is feeding every 3 hours 6am-12am and 4-5hrs stretches at night.
    - I have a pretty good freezer stash of FBM and was wondering if i can travel with them for 8-10 hrs in the car? Can the be refrozen if they are slightly thawed?
    Sorry this is so last minute and scatter brained! Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Car traveling with LO

i cant answer all, but i know it is NOT SAFE to breadt feed in a moving vehicle. theres always the chance of an accidedent. stopping every 3 hours or so for diaper changes and feedings is a decent plan.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

The link below is to a handy chart with good explanations about milk storage and handling. You might consider printing it out and taking it with you as a quick reference.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t026900.asp#T026901

Having the bottle of expressed milk is a great 'just in case' idea. The above link will give you an idea of how to approach it.

As far as pumping in place of nursing...well, hmm. The way I see it, your safest bet is to pump about as often as you'd be nursing so you don't risk endangering your supply (someone please correct me if I'm wrong with that one). With that in mind, you're still going to be looking for someplace to scurry off to every 3 hours, so you kinda just may as well nurse. Know what I mean? I wish I had the magic answer for how to maintain supply while neither nursing nor pumping, but I just don't think there is one.

Nursing in public makes a lot of women uncomfortable, but it can definitely be done discreetly. If you reconsider this as an option, there are some really experienced pros on this forum who'd be more than happy to offer tips and tricks!
    Last edited by @llli*firefly; March 24th, 2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: insert link
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

I have traveled with a newborn before, and honestly the easiest thing to do is just stop and breastfeed as needed. Don't try to go 3 hours without stopping, just because you are trying to get to your destination faster. It will be so much more hassle for you to pump and bottlefeed in the car... honestly, making travel easier is one of the reasons I love breastfeeding! You don't have to worry about keeping milk cold, mixing formula, etc. Your milk is always fresh!

As for breastfeeding once you get to your destination... you said you're not sure how often you can "stop and breastfeed" but there is just so much more hassle with "stopping and pumping and bottlefeeding" that to me it's just a zillion times easier to breastfeed. My suggestion is to practice breastfeeding in front of a mirror, because I would be willing to bet that you aren't showing nearly as much boob as you think you are. You can also practice using a nursing cover if you think that would help. In addition, dressing yourself for nursing in public is helpful too... that is, dress in layers... what I do is wear a nursing tank/camisole, with a shirt overtop of it. Then I just pull my t-shirt up, and my bunched up t-shirt covers the top of my breast, and then falls down a bit to meet baby's face/mouth. And my stomach and back aren't hanging out because the nursing tank is covering that area. Honestly, no one even knows what I'm doing. So maybe practice nursing in front of a mirror, or in front of your partner so they can tell you how much is really showing?

Good luck mama!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Thanks for the quick responses!
    Just to clarify about nursing in the car: We would both be still strapped in, I was talking about the leaning over the car seat method
    I think I will just have to suck it up and nurse in public, Im just so painfully shy its ridiculous
    I think i will have to use one of those nursing covers as my DS loves to pull off the nipple at random times hah.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*munchk1n View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses!
    Just to clarify about nursing in the car: We would both be still strapped in, I was talking about the leaning over the car seat method
    I think I will just have to suck it up and nurse in public, Im just so painfully shy its ridiculous
    I think i will have to use one of those nursing covers as my DS loves to pull off the nipple at random times hah.
    Well, I will be honest and say that I have "dangle nursed" on more than one occasion while my DH drives us down the road and DS is belted into his carseat... No, it's not safe for you to be unbelted in the car, but it's just one of those things... you gotta do what you gotta do to get through it... If you can picture this... we have a minivan, my DS rides rear-facing in the middle row captain's chair, behind the driver's seat... and I have stood over my DS and nursed him while we are driving down the road. I have often wondered what the other cars driving down the highway think I am doing.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

A few things:
    1) For your sanity, psych yourself up now for this car ride taking longer than it usually does, because it will. My husband's family lives 8 hrs away, and we usually visit them 2-3 times per year. I am a total road warrior, and it KILLS me to have to stop all the time; once I let it go, it became more bearable.

2) How often does your baby normally eat? Try to estimate how many times you might expect him to eat during the trip. Add one due to the extra time it will take b/c of all the stopping If you want to bring EBM, you can bring it in a cooler and feed it to him while en route, but you HAVE to pump either before or after to maintain your supply, esp @ this age. What I did when we took our eldest @ 6 weeks on a similar trip, was I would pump in the car, slap a nipple on the collection bottle, then feed it right to him. He was eating so often (every 1-2 hrs), that there was no way I was making 7+ stops in a single trip. I ended up bringing home with me ALL of the EBM I had stashed brought in the cooler.

3) Whether you are ready to NIP by this trip or not, I agree w/ PP that it is a skill you should acquire. It makes life SO much easier. I always use a Hooter Hider, so I'm not as daring as most of the other mamas on here
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Sorry I don't have any great advice, but I'll share this with you: I was quite terrified of breastfeeding in public at first. Now, 6 months into motherhood, I actually kinda get a kick out of it!

I wear a zip up hoodie over my nursing tank. I can kind of use it to cover me up on the side. When my LO was younger, I would put a fabric bib on him and just lift it up when he was latched and everthing was covered either by the bib, his head or the hoodie. It gets easier with practice.
    DS was born June - 2010
    and with lots of help and support from my hubby
    Ready to pump wean!!

Not sure if this was already said, but if you are shy about nip, or if the places to stop at every three hours aren't good, couldn't you just pull over wherever you can, pull out a pillow, unstrap everyone, and bf your baby sitting in the car? I do this all the time since I live in a rural area, and sometimes I need to stop in places that are basically the middle of nowhere. I don't really feel like NIF (nurse in field, with cows watching) so the car it is. Just another option.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog