Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can't empty breasts!

Default Can't empty breasts!

My newborn is a month old and I have been pumping exclusibvely because I've had difficulty getting her to latch. I was using a regular sized flange but came to the realization that I needed a bigger one when my nipples became so sore that I thought they would fall off!

I've been using the medium size since yesterday but I have not been able to empty my breasts--about 20 minutes after pumping they start becoming hard again and I am only pumping about an once every 2 hours as opposed to the 1.5-2 ounces I was getting with the smaller flange size.

What can I do to get all the milk out? I try expressing by hand before, during, and after pumping, but it's not working. The regular size definitely got out more milk but was incredibly painful! Please help!

Default Re: Can't empty breasts!

What degree of suction do you have on? If the suction is too high then it will cause pain (everyones tolerance is different).

Also you may have to pump longer. How long are you pumping now? Sometimes changing something really simple on the pump can change how effficient it works. I have to keep my suction low so it takes me longer to pump then if it was higher.
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

Good advice from the PP. One thing that can make you sore is when your nipples rub against the sides of the tubes. Lubricating them with a little olive oil can allow them to slide freely- and that could allow you to go back to the smaller size.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with the PPs and also wanted to share this video from Stanford on maximizing milk production with hands on pumping. you mentioned that you are already hand-expressing quite a bit, but maybe the technique could be improved?
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

Thanks all! I may try the olive oil suggestion. I put the suction on pretty high with the bigger flanges--with the smaller one it got to the point where my nipples were throbbing in between pumping so I could barely even put the pump on them let alone turn up the suction.

I actually watched that video which is what inspired me to try hand expressing more. I'm sure my technique could be better so I'll keep trying. I worry that I won't have enough milk to feed the baby at this rate, especially as her appetitie increases. Hopefully my supply will continue to increase with her appetite but I always worry, since I EP, that I won't be able to give her what she needs.

Crossing my fingers for the best!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilys.mommy.223 View Post
    I worry that I won't have enough milk to feed the baby at this rate, especially as her appetitie increases. Hopefully my supply will continue to increase with her appetite but I always worry, since I EP, that I won't be able to give her what she needs.

Crossing my fingers for the best!
    one day at a time, mama. my sis is EPing for her son and they've hit the 4 month mark! she has had many, many days where she feared she would not be able to keep up.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb