Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frankenmilk...

Default Re: Frankenmilk...

My daughter wasn't really ready to eat solids at 6 months. Not even really thin purees, generally. It was closer to 8ish months that she would eat a spoonfull and 14ish months before she ate much at all.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Honestly, I've never tried to give her plain formula, so I have no idea if she'll drink it or not. She didn't seem to have a problem with the bit that I added yesterday...

She drinks 16 oz while she's at day care and then I bring the "emergency" bottle home and feed her that almost straight in the door in the evening. Either way it would be 20 oz that I would have to feed her in that time span - sometimes, like yesterday, I can even pump enough for her, but if I held off on her last bottle of the day it would catch up to me when I got home.

I'm worried that the change between BM and formula all at once would upset her tummy, that's why I don't want to give it to her all at once...
    Last edited by @llli*marley-n-emily; March 24th, 2011 at 03:24 PM.

Are you EPing? I don't understand why she needs 20 ounces a day while you are at work and why you're giving her a bottle when you get home unless you are EPing?
    Tracie

Mommy to

Yes, I'm EPing... I have been trying to get her back to the breast, but it hasn't been successful. We received some horrible LC advice at 4 days and everything went downhill from there...

I would probably not send a 5th bottle with her if we were directly breastfeeding, I'd just offer at daycare or as soon as we got home...

I thought that babies need between 24 and 30 ounces a day. Is she getting most of her milk when she's at the babysitter?

There's no need to be embarrassed about EPing, I just couldn't understand the 20 ounces - that is a ton of milk to pump - which I'm sure you know!
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    what about 3 four ounce bottles of milk and one two ounce bottle of formula? Or will she not drink the formula plain?
    That's what I was gonna suggest. That's what we did when my daughter was little. Not those exact measurements, but she'd have as much breastmilk as I could send and then whatever else she needed that day would be formula.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

She's been drinking about 34-36 ounces a day during the 6-month growth spurt... I pump between 28-32 ounces per day (6-7 sessions) and I had been putting in thawed milk from our freezer stash that I built up when she was 2 mo.s old. Now that it's all gone, I've been topping off the day care bottles with a little formula.

Usually she has 4 bottles at day care (16 oz - I'm gone 10-10.5 hours), 1 bottle (4 oz.) shortly after we get home and then I let her and drink as much as she wants before bed and overnight - it's usually 12 oz, but lately it's been 14-16... So half at day care (16 oz) and half at home (16-20 oz).

She's a great eater, but I must make lowfat milk 'cause she's in the 95% for height and the 50% for weight...
    Last edited by @llli*marley-n-emily; March 25th, 2011 at 03:45 PM.