Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frankenmilk...

Unhappy Frankenmilk...

So today is the first time I've had to send my daughter to day care with Frankenmilk - that's my breast milk with about 1/2 an oz. of formula thrown into each bottle.

She's quite an eater and takes 3-4 4 oz. bottles while I'm away at work for 10 hours (I don't know where she puts it 'cause she's only 50th percentile...)

Is there something else I could use to supplement that wouldn't be formula? I really hate the idea of giving it to her when I've worked so hard these 6 months to give her only breastmilk. She's not ready for solids - I've tried and she actually gags on the rice cereal mixed with breastmilk. I've heard of folks using goats milk. What does it taste like? If it's anything like the cheese... and would 2 1/2 - 5oz. 3-4 times a week be ok?

Thanks for your help!
    Marley

Default Re: Frankenmilk...

Couple of questions... first, how old is your baby? Have you started solids yet? You can make the rice cereal with water, that's how my kids liked it best anyway. That way you aren't using breastmilk in it, and possibly wasting it if she doesn't eat it all.

And as for mixing breastmilk with formula... I had a hard time pumping enough milk for my first child... no problems at all pumping plenty for my second... anyway, what I did was make her bottles of breastmilk smaller... that is, if she usually takes 4 ounces per feeding, and I had 3 ounces of breastmilk, I put JUST the breastmilk in her bottle (don't mix the formula in), then had the 1 ounce of formula in a separate bottle. And here's why I did that... because half the time she didn't even finish the 3 ounce bottle of breastmilk, and so we never even needed to give her the formula. Yes, it causes you to have to carry twice as many bottles to daycare, and wash twice as many bottles, but this way you aren't wasting any of your precious breastmilk by mixing it with formula and then having her not drink it all. Does that make sense?
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

She's 6 months old tomorrow - how the time has flown!

I've tried solids a few times. First just some organic pears in a jar and at first she seemed to like then - ate about 2 teaspoons full. No interest in the rice cereal with milk. Then the next day I tried a mixture of thicker cereal with water and the pears at the same time - she actually gagged and threw it up (she hasn't spit up for weeks, this was like projectile) and then last night I tried the cereal with breastmilk (just a tablespoon full) and she blew bubbles in it (I'm sure she swallowed a little) but when she gagged again, I just gave up. She seemed to be interested in what we were eating for a while, but I think now it was just the objects and not the food because she makes no attempt at opening her mouth or anything - I had to sneak it in when she opened her mouth for the spoon I gave her to play with.

I dunno about taking separate bottles...She almost always finishes the 4 oz. (I reduced it from 4.5-5 down to 4 because they were throwing away too much milk - she just eats more often) I don't even own 10 bottles and I think day care would kick my butt if I bring in 5 3.5oz bottles and 5 .5oz bottles. They aren't allowed to mix anything there themselves. I have no intention of pumping any less, so it really should be a small amount, I just hate that it's formula...

It's very true that I don't like any BM to be wasted. I'll see today if there's any increase in the amount that they threw away. There was always a bit of a chance while I was using my freezer stash these last 3 months that she would take less (I imagine the aftertaste was stronger sometimes)...
    Last edited by @llli*marley-n-emily; March 23rd, 2011 at 03:14 PM.

before supplementing with milk from another species, how about looking into Human Milk for Human Babies for your state and seeing about receiving donor milk from another mama? or donor milk from another source?

a friend of mine receives milk from another mama and has been able to fully eliminate the need to supplement with formula and her DS is now 7 months.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

That's an interesting idea. I wouldn't need that much, but I'd want to be sure I wasn't taking it from a preemie or mom who couldn't make any for some reason. Emily drinks about 32 oz a day and I make all but about 2-5oz of that on work days. On weekends we even have a surplus that I just carry over, so I only need to supplement 2-3 days during the work week!

HM4HB is no-charge and you basically post that you have a need for milk and then other women respond. that avoids the problem of possibly taking it from someone who you may feel needs it more, kwim?
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marley-n-emily View Post
    I dunno about taking separate bottles...She almost always finishes the 4 oz. (I reduced it from 4.5-5 down to 4 because they were throwing away too much milk - she just eats more often) I don't even own 10 bottles and I think day care would kick my butt if I bring in 5 3.5oz bottles and 5 .5oz bottles.
    You're paying them, Mama, not the other way round. If you want them to top off with a 1/2 oz of formula in a separate bottle, that should not be a huge deal. Don't let anyone give you a hard time about it! And if they do, just explain that if something's going to get dumped, you want it to be formula, and not the milk you've worked so hard to pump. I doubt anyone could argue with that.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    You're paying them, Mama, not the other way round. If you want them to top off with a 1/2 oz of formula in a separate bottle, that should not be a huge deal. Don't let anyone give you a hard time about it! And if they do, just explain that if something's going to get dumped, you want it to be formula, and not the milk you've worked so hard to pump. I doubt anyone could argue with that.

AND you're doing a great job. Have you tried herbal supplements to increase your milk? I took fenugreek when i went back to work and had a very noticeable increase in milk. I never had to supplement, and that definitely made that possible.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I take domperidone and fenugreek both. I didn't notice any more increase adding blessed thistle, so I dropped that...

She drank all of the Frankenmilk without having any dumped and I had a stellar pumping day yesterday, so it was 100% mama-milk today... Then last night she drank an extra 4 ounces overnight, so I'm a little behind for tomorrow...

Unfortunately the milk donation thing is on facebook (we don't do facebook...) so I'll have to look for other avenues. My DCP advised letting her try to give Emily some solids - she might not be motivated because all she's ever gotten from me is BM, so she could be waiting me out or completely confused as to why I would want her to eat anything else...

what about 3 four ounce bottles of milk and one two ounce bottle of formula? Or will she not drink the formula plain?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months