Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pregnant & Weaning

Default Pregnant & Weaning

I'm 6 weeks pregnant with my second child (the first being almost 2 years old) and I can't believe it - weaning is happening! I never thought I'd see this day (okay, I thought I would eventually) as he nursed 4-5 times a day until I started to get sore nipples during my pregnancy. I mentioned that my "num-nums" were "owie" and asked that he nurse for a shorter period of time and he has been completely respectful. It's actually a pleasant shock. He spent time asking to touch them (and I allow him to caress them), as he didn't want to nurse from them any more and now just refers to my breasts as "owie num-nums". Every second morning, we still nurse when he wakes up. I can't believe weaning is happening, and I haven't refused my son when he asks to nurse.

I'm happy, as nursing has really made being pregnant even that much more exhausting, but I have mixed emotions too. Guess I'm just giving a shout-out to all those mothers who think they're toddlers will never wean - they will. Weird, what a beautiful and loving adventure it has been these last two years. Guess I'm also looking for support from other moms out there who've been in my shoes. Somehow I thought all the attachment parenting would have to be spoiled by a "fight" to end nursing when I was ready to give it up but he wasn't... but nope, give them time and they will stop.

Default Re: Pregnant & Weaning

How sweet.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I'm a dork.. I teared up a little reading this. Just thinking about the weaning that will eventually happen makes me sad some, you know? Congrats to you on your new baby and making it so far with your son.

I'm happy for you that it is going go easy.. also good to hear. I am afraid that my son will be very emotional and upset if it doesnt happen on his terms.. he sure loves his "duhduhs"
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

So sweet! Your son sounds so caring. Congratulations on the new little bean!
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Thank you so much for your replies thus far! I'm so shocked. I'm not weaned yet, but it's clear that it's happening and we're almost there! The second time he nursed after I told him about the num-nums hurting he cried a little and I said, it's okay, you can still nurse... but he didn't... gosh, sometimes I give my son not enough credit. What a star!

I was dead set against doing the "shock therapy" version of weaning (as in, "you're a big boy now, no more num-nums"), and when I got pregnant I got so darn stressed wondering what to do because my exhaustion levels were getting crazy. I started reading up on tandem nursing, but when I mentioned the "owie-num-nums", he really showed how caring he is... Still, I'm torn. It's a sad day to see weaning happening, but it's also the right timing, you know? He isn't torn up about it anymore, only shed a couple of tears (and has shed far more over being asked to go inside after playing outside and it's time for supper!). Guess I should pat myself on the back. Thanks for being there for me BF'ing moms!