Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: WIC & baby food

Default WIC & baby food

Baby is 6 months and has shown the signs of being ready for solids since about 5 months. I had in mind to do baby led solids and do my own baby food if needed. I actually qualified for WIC and now that baby is 6 months I was given vouchers for him. I was amazed by how much baby food vouchers I was given for one month. My understanding is breastmilk should continue to be the main source of nutrition for my baby till at least 1yr of age. I thought of giving baby solids/baby cereal/ baby food only twice a day at the most (once with day care provider and once with mom/dad at night) but I have been given more baby food than for twice a day.

My question is how much of this baby food should baby be getting but to still keep breastmilk as his primary source?

Default Re: WIC & baby food

dr sears has some good info on his web site about feeding kids healthy foods.
    You know your baby best, not some wic lady. ITs ok not to use some of the coupons. And use only what you need.

with what Andrea said.

since you and your baby are in the computer as EBF, your baby is eligible for the highest amount of baby food. doesn't mean that you have to use it if you don't want or need to. that change came around a few years ago to increase incentive to get more moms to stay EBF.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    You know your baby best, not some wic lady. ITs ok not to use some of the coupons. And use only what you need.

At 6 months old, I wouldn't bother with doing more than a spoonful or two per day. Maybe 1 jar, max. Until around 1 year, solids are just for fun. You want the baby to be interested in new tastes and new motor skills.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

you never have to use the entireity of the check.

in my mommmy/prego checks im allowed $10 of frutis/veggies but i usually only get $5-$7 cuz otherwise it can go bad or something. i rarely get everything on all the checks, otherwise we'd have 10 jars of peanut butter (husband needs to hold off on buyingme tuna with the checks, we have 30 cans as it is xD) and i dont get the beans that are on the check cuz i hate lentil type beans
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

im pretty sure at 6 months it was hit or miss.. maybe once a day maybe twice a day.. some days not at all

with my second one I did more of a baby led solids and just gave her tastes here and there of finger foods that we were having..

we had WIC at one point and had a TON of cereal and we didnt use any of it, i just gave it to a friend that had a baby about the same age.. you could always just give away the excess
    Student aspiring to be a Chiropractor and mother to Noah who will be 3 in July and Olivia who will be 2 in Aug.

recipie page for baby cookies made out of cereal

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/teethingbiscuits.htm