Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight Gain Worries

Default Weight Gain Worries

After trying to get my baby to be exclusively breastfed for two months, it finally worked. We breastfeed whenever she wants, for as long as she wants day and night. I have some concerns about her weight gain. I'm not sure if we're doing ok.

First, my baby is just under 4 mo old. She usually has at least one poopy diaper per day, though about once a week, she'll skip a day or two. Her first few diapers of the morning are heavy and the wettest, but has at least six wet diapers per day. By the end of the day I have to smell the diapers to check for pee, they aren't nearly as heavy as the first few. During the day she eats every three hours, and she goes for one four hour stretch at night.

On Thurs, Feb 3rd, she weighed 12lbs 9oz (as measured at a local hospital's bfing support group) .
    On Mon, Feb 7th, she weighed 13lbs even (as measured at her 2 month doc appt).

We were still supplementing back then. As mentioned, she no longer receives any formula. When I weighed her naked at home a few days ago, she only weighed about 13.6 lbs, so maybe around 13 lbs 8-9oz.

I know bf babies gain less quickly, but this seems way too little. Should I expect a slight delay in weight gain since she isn't getting formula anymore? It may be important to note that she has grown 2 inches since her last doc appt and is a very active baby. Please help! I dont want to go back to supplementing after all that hard work.
    Last edited by @llli*alilwest; March 22nd, 2011 at 04:13 PM.

Default Re: Weight Gain Worries

for no more formula! I had to do the same thing for the first 3 months with my LO. This last check she had she had only gained about a pound +? I don't remember exactly but I was surprised because she is a CHUBBY little thing now! I'd say don't listen to the doctors (if they are saying something) as much as you follow your instincts. As long as your LO is content after eating, seems to be growing, and has good diapers.. I'd say just keep it up! It's hard not to look at the scale - I do that too - but listening to your baby is the best indicator.
    I'm a homeschooling, , mom!

4/21/04 9lbs1oz FF due to hospital sabotage
    3/16/07 10lbs3oz FF bc of severe weight loss, lack of support
    11/02/10 7lbs14oz BF , supplemented 3oz formula/day for first 3 months due to supply issues. Now she's on all mommy's milk!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alilwest View Post
    After trying to get my baby to be exclusively breastfed for two months, it finally worked. We breastfeed whenever she wants, for as long as she wants day and night. I have some concerns about her weight gain. I'm not sure if we're doing ok.

First, my baby is just under 4 mo old. She usually has at least one poopy diaper per day, though about once a week, she'll skip a day or two. Her first few diapers of the morning are heavy and the wettest, but has at least six wet diapers per day. By the end of the day I have to smell the diapers to check for pee, they aren't nearly as heavy as the first few. During the day she eats every three hours, and she goes for one four hour stretch at night.

On Thurs, Feb 3rd, she weighed 12lbs 9oz (as measured at a local hospital's bfing support group) .
    On Mon, Feb 7th, she weighed 13lbs even (as measured at her 2 month doc appt).

We were still supplementing back then. As mentioned, she no longer receives any formula. When I weighed her naked at home a few days ago, she only weighed about 13.6 lbs, so maybe around 13 lbs 8-9oz.

I know bf babies gain less quickly, but this seems way too little. Should I expect a slight delay in weight gain since she isn't getting formula anymore? It may be important to note that she has grown 2 inches since her last doc appt and is a very active baby. Please help! I dont want to go back to supplementing after all that hard work.
    First, congrats on making the transition to ebf!! Second, babies often slow down their weight gain somewhere around the 3-5 month mark, so it's not necessarily a big concern if she isn't gaining as fast as she used to. Also, babies can grow in fits and starts, and I've read that sometimes they're working on length instead of height. However, a half a pound in a month and a half might warrant a phone call to the doctor if you felt so inclined and it represents a really significant change in her pattern.

I'm curious - would you say that her wet diapers have decreased in volume or stayed about the same since you weaned off formula?

Also, a note about scales: they can really vary. If you want to track her weight, make sure you're using the same scale and trying to replicate the same conditions (clothes, wet/dry diaper, full/empty stomach, etc).

Thanks for the encouragement! My daughter is already 26in+, so she's really long for being less than 4 mo old. I think because she looks so slender I worry that she isn't chunkin up enough.

When she was being supplemented with formula her diapers were always full... heavy and wet.

Long girl!

I hope you are feeling better now. Have you plotted your LO on a growth chart? It made me feel better when my LO would stop gaining or even lose some.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

I'm still a little concerned. I just pray that I don't have to start supplementing again. I've struggled with supply and I don't know if I'd be able to pump to get the amount necessary to supplement her with. That doesn't even take into consideration what supplementing would do to my current supply.

The two weights were measured on different scales, and I almost think the 13lb measurement wasn't right... cuz it was only 4 days after she had weighed 12lb 9oz.

Who knows. I'll probably call her doc tomorrow.

Well, if she's wetting significantly less, it'll probably make you feel better to talk to the doctor...who, of course, may well tell you to start supplementing again.

I'll preface this next part by saying that I would really hate supplementing my own baby, and I think supplementing is over-recommended and overused. However, there really are situations where its mostly necessary. I have no idea if yours is/will be one of them, but if that's the way it goes down, try not to let yourself get too torn up about it. In reality, it's not the end of the world, and your baby is getting great stuff from you each and every time you nurse, which is sounds like you'll definitely continue doing

Hang in there, and let us know how it goes.

ETA: regarding your supply, I'm sure you've been reading through the Pumping/Milk Storage and Increasing Your Milk areas...if not, hightail it over there
    Last edited by @llli*firefly; March 23rd, 2011 at 06:12 AM.

It sounds like your baby is getting enough, if she is content and having enough wet and poopy diapers. She doesn't need to have so many soaking wet diapers. And the reason that formula fed babies poop more often is because there is other stuff in there that the body can't process. There are less waste products in breatmilk than formula.

Your baby was weighed on three different scales, so it's hard to say what the real weight gain was. I replied to your other post that she gained roughly 0.4 ounces per day over 6 weeks, which is probably fine.

I worried a lot about my first daughter's weight gain, but she is just a small person. My pediatrician never worried about it. And I've always had oversupply, so I knew that it was not that she wasn't getting enough milk.

If you were feeding her formula alone and she was gaining weight in the same way, you would not be worried about it. Please don't doubt your ability to feed your child.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months