Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help! long - baby frustration, distraction, supply issues

Default help! long - baby frustration, distraction, supply issues

sorry for the long post...

I have been struggling with nursing my 4.5 month old for a few weeks now. I think it started when he started sleeping through the night. I had a hard time keeping up my supply and adjusting to giving him all of his calories during the day. And he was getting very frustrated during feedings - off and on the breast, fussing. And he's at the age where he is very distracted while nursing any way. I was very upset.

Then we had a dr visit where he only gained 5 oz in a month. He dropped from 60th percentile to 40th in weight. The dr recommended supplementing with formula, but I wasn't ready for that.

So, I bought the Medela double pump and started pumping after every feeding and at night after he went to bed to try to get enough to supplement him after his last feeding with bm and to increase my supply. I was able to get about 3 oz total for the day, which seemed to satisfy him before bed.

I did that for about a week straight and it seemed like my supply was up and i was able to supplement him with bm. So I cut back on pumping, usually doing it only in the AM after he fed and at night a few hours after his last feed. And now my supply has cut back even more than before. I don't want to become completely reliant on the pump for obvious reasons, but I don't know how else to increase my supply. I am also drinking mothers milk tea.

The other weird thing is that baby gets very frustrated and pulls off acting like there's no milk, but when i squeeze my nipple, milk comes out. He usually does this a few minutes in when I think the hind milk is coming in and it's a slower flow. He only seems happy the first few minutes when the milk is just blasting at him! He doesn't have acid reflux or any other issues. We've been completely successful nursing until this point. And I'm not pregnant.

I'm at a loss. It is stressing me out so much that I think supplementing with formula may be the way to go. I don't want to, but this is making me feel like such a failure and I know that's not healthy.

Sorry again for the long post, but I would really appreciate any advice. I am planning to meet with a lactation consultant too.

Thank you!

Default Re: help! long - baby frustration, distraction, supply issues

I don't have any advice about the fussing issue, except to say that I remember my DD having a fussy stage somewhere around 4 months. I think this is common, actually. For the distractability, try nursing in a darkened room with the door closed. Lying down helps us because it's harder for DD to move herself around to look at everything.

How many hours is your LO sleeping straight at night? "Sleeping through the night" can mean different things to different people. If it is longer than 5 hours or so, I would not hesitate to initiate a feeding yourself. Some people would be horrified at the idea of waking up your baby for a feeding, but breastfeeding is a two-way conversation. Does you baby sleep in the same room/bed as you? If so, it should be possible to time an offering of the breast to when he is in a lighter stage of sleep anyway. Getting your baby enough to eat is more important than a long, uninterrupted stretch of sleep (unfortunately for overworked moms.)
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

I had distractababy (still do really) and a few short nursing strikes around the same age as yours' age/fussing at breast, etc. Agree with pp about maybe a night nursing. Also, you mentioned LO likes the initial stream, have you tried switch nursing (let him get the letdown on one side, then switch to the other side, then back to the first, and repeat until he's had enough). Sometimes LO would not get a second letdown from me unless I did this.

Also maybe try feedings in very dark, quiet rooms, laying down, more frequent offering, waiting till he is almost asleep to sneak in feedings, offering breast for consolation only (not hunger necessarily). This might not work for you, but what worked for us sometimes is that if she was really fussy and paci calmed her I would let her calm down then bait-and-switch for boob.
    Good luck!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I have the same problem. My DD is 34 weeker. The first 6 weeks I had to pump and gave her the bottle. We tried and finally transited to EBF. She's 4 month old this Friday. Everything went well until the last 2 weeks. She suddenly doesn't want to nurse and cries whenever she's near my boobs (especially on the right side). And she doesn't seem to be hungry. She can go 4-5 hours without nursing but never shows any signal of hunger or tired. Of course I am very worried and normally after 3 hours I give her the boobs. She still plays, naps 2-3 times during the days and sleeps at around 8-9pm until 6am. During the night I dreamfeed her and she nurses just as normal. But you know it's very crazy during the day. I have to nurse her in the dark room and in lying position and offer the boobs more frequently (as pp does).
    @Christine: How long/offen you have this kind of strike? I hope this is just a phase and she'll be back to normal nurse. And when you have to go out at feeding time, what do you do?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nanatrang View Post
    I have the same problem. My DD is 34 weeker. The first 6 weeks I had to pump and gave her the bottle. We tried and finally transited to EBF. She's 4 month old this Friday. Everything went well until the last 2 weeks. She suddenly doesn't want to nurse and cries whenever she's near my boobs (especially on the right side). And she doesn't seem to be hungry. She can go 4-5 hours without nursing but never shows any signal of hunger or tired. Of course I am very worried and normally after 3 hours I give her the boobs. She still plays, naps 2-3 times during the days and sleeps at around 8-9pm until 6am. During the night I dreamfeed her and she nurses just as normal. But you know it's very crazy during the day. I have to nurse her in the dark room and in lying position and offer the boobs more frequently (as pp does).
    @Christine: How long/offen you have this kind of strike? I hope this is just a phase and she'll be back to normal nurse. And when you have to go out at feeding time, what do you do?

TIA
    In my experience it was on and off around the 3-5 month period. It was when she was just becoming aware of her surroundings. She just gave me a very hard time, during the strike periods (they lasted max like 3-4 days) she would go 6 or 7 hours during the day sometimes with very little milk but nursed well at night. worried me since she would usually drink every 2 hours. It was a phase, I just kept at it, basically every time she got sleepy there was boob in her face (not forceful, just available). before and sometimes after every nap i would try to nurse her. i used that bait and switch with the paci alot. also she had boob preference i learned at this time so always tried the favorite boob first.

i think one of those strikes was from her dislike of banana flavor in my milk but I can't be sure? she still hates bananas. As for going out, if she was having a really bad day, I just didn't go out--it stressed me out!! I am a SAHM so sometimes I didn't have to go out. If I did, I would feed her as best as she would eat and take her with me knowing if she was hungry well we could try NIP, but I wouldn't stay out for more than 2 hours. At that age, cranky baby is not fun! We didn't pump or bottlefeed so maybe another mama has advice there? If possible I would avoid the bottle until the phase passes, just watch to make sure she has enough wet diapers so you know she's getting enough to eat.
    Christine
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I have tried switching back and forth between sides. He seems happy for a few minutes, then fussy again. So I end up switching back and forth the whole time. It is breaking my heart b/c he is so frustrated and I'm so frustrated with myself for not being able to provide him with what he needs. We are going to a lactation consultant Friday. It can't come soon enough!

Thanks for your tips! Lying down does seem to help a little with the frustration and distraction, but not the the low supply unfortunately!

Wow, I'm having the same problems. So thanks for the tips! I haven't tried the bait and switch though. My LO doesn't like paci's (another thing we are working on). I wonder if I could do that with the bottle or if that would just make her mad. I've been using my pump as much as possible so I can atleast feed her EBM.

It's great to hear that you guys have also experienced this around the 3-5 month mark. My LO is just a little over 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jc.hunter View Post
    Wow, I'm having the same problems. So thanks for the tips! I haven't tried the bait and switch though. My LO doesn't like paci's (another thing we are working on). I wonder if I could do that with the bottle or if that would just make her mad. I've been using my pump as much as possible so I can atleast feed her EBM.

It's great to hear that you guys have also experienced this around the 3-5 month mark. My LO is just a little over 3 months.
    since you mentioned you're using the pump, have you ever tried getting your let down yourself and then popping your LO on? Sometimes the instant reward of milk from the breast helps to keep them from getting so fussy (if she gets fussy because she doesn't stay on long enough for your let down, which happened to me alot at that age). don't get me wrong, I have nothing against using a bottle of pumped milk, but I would worry about relying on it too much if you're trying to overcome a period where she's refusing the breast and she might start to prefer the bottle. I have read a lot of posts here where people find it very hard to go back to breast once that happens.
    Christine

yep, I totally see what you mean. I've tried that before, but I'll give it another go.