Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cleaning shield connector

Default cleaning shield connector

I have a Medela pump. My question is how in the world can I clean the itty, bitty spaces in the connector piece for the breast shield? I use the pump parts wipes while I am at work and wash the pieces in hot, soap water at home. But there are tiny areas that I can't get to, even with a Qtip. There is a white build up in there-im not sure if its soap or old milk or what. I have sent them through the tip rack of the dish washer but that doesn't help. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Default Re: cleaning shield connector

have you used the Medela steam bags to sanatize? I wonder if the steam would get it out...They sell those bags at target. You just put a bit of water in the bag with the pump parts and put them in the microwave for a minute or 2.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Yep I use those too. No luck. I'm wondering if a 1:10 bleach solution would be bad. Or maybe a soak in vinegar and baking soda? Idk

I scrub in there with a bitty little scrub brush on the end of my bottle brush, but if you soak in a 50/50 mix of DISTILLED water and white vinegar, it cuts the grease, minerals and stuff that builds up in there so you might be able to get it out. It's gross, isn't it.

I also use the mix to cut the grease that seems to build up on the silicone Haberman teats. Despite scrubbing, they get this icky film on them that the vinegar and water mix will cut, but nothing else gets rid of it.

Straight vinegar is apparently not good for these items.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have had this problem since I started pumping a year ago!! I used Qtips (they bend into most of the holes), but lately I have found the best thing to clean these!! Dr. Brown bottles sells these little pipe cleaners for cleaning their bottles. They come in a package of like 3 or 4 and are only about $6 in Canada. Both toysrus and sears had them.. Get them, they are the biggest time saver ever, they fit in at the cracks and clean all the residue out!!

http://www.handi-craft.com/bottles/p...aning-brushes/

I will try the 50/50 distilled water and white vinegar mix first. If that doesn't work ill go searching for the mini brushes. Thanks!

I don't worry about it. I just rinse them in water after I'm done pumping, sterilize at the end of the work day in a steamer thing and then wash them once a week with soap and water on the weekend.

Lilah never got sick. I don't expect Trixie to either.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Ditto on the mini-brushes - I used to use Dr. Brown's bottles and the little brush works like a charm. With hot water, I never even need to go to the vinegar mixture (I'm too impatient to soak them), but I do use that to clean my Lact-Aid parts!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*marley-n-emily View Post
    but I do use that to clean my Lact-Aid parts!
    That's actually where I got the idea from. It works great...I make up the solution and soak the things that need soaking while washing everything else then wash those items.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!