Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why did you decide to nurse past a year?

Default Re: Why did you decide to nurse past a year?

Just a friendly warning: A lot of babies are very distractible at 9-12 months and it seems like they won't nurse unless you offer frequently, because they are always so busy. But then around 12 months, a lot of babies rediscover the boob and want to nurse all.the.time. Especially with those molars coming in. But it's not the breastfeeding that's keeping you up all night - it's the molars. The breastfeeding actually helps your baby sleep better, most likely, although this can seem hard to believe.

Anyway, in my own experience, the number of sessions did NOT go down at a year, but probably went up. They are decreasing now as Joe gets closer to two. But I did pump wean around a year (I stopped pumping at work) so even though Joe was nursing as much as ever, breastfeeding was so much easier for ME. It was like I took away the hard, tedious part, and was left with only the fun, snuggly part!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Just a friendly warning: A lot of babies are very distractible at 9-12 months and it seems like they won't nurse unless you offer frequently, because they are always so busy. But then around 12 months, a lot of babies rediscover the boob and want to nurse all.the.time. Especially with those molars coming in. But it's not the breastfeeding that's keeping you up all night - it's the molars. The breastfeeding actually helps your baby sleep better, most likely, although this can seem hard to believe.

Anyway, in my own experience, the number of sessions did NOT go down at a year, but probably went up. They are decreasing now as Joe gets closer to two. But I did pump wean around a year (I stopped pumping at work) so even though Joe was nursing as much as ever, breastfeeding was so much easier for ME. It was like I took away the hard, tedious part, and was left with only the fun, snuggly part!
    Agree with all of this! Since pump weaning at 14 mos, there is NOTHING I don't love about nursing. I think i may be lucky too because i don't have a guy who snacks all day, just really wants his milkies at certain times of the day. or when he's hurt. or tired, .
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I didn't really decide to do it either. I started thinking I'd go 9 months, then once I got there I realized how much a baby she still was and there was no reason to wean her. Then I thought I'd go to at least a year and hopefully 18 mos (ashamed to say that I wanted to do that mainly because I knew the idea of my nursing past 1 really bugged my MIL) and then by the time I got to just past a year and stopped pumping I just saw no reason at all to wean and so very many reasons to continue. Nora weaned right around her 2nd birthday but probably would have gone longer had I not gotten pregnant.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Also after a year sessions can go down because they can learn nursing manners and learn to wait until you both want to nurse etc.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

When I was pregnant, and thinking about food choices, breastfeeding itself was sort of weirding me out I though I would make it 6 weeks, maybe 3 months at the most.
    My husband was the one actually thinking that we will bf until whenever.
    We had an oversupply issue, a bit of plugged ducts, but nothing major. And my son is a champion nurser.
    So... 3 months went by... then 6 and 9. My LO is going to be a year in 5 days. I have no intention to stop any time soon. I think I probably will stop when we will try for kidlet #2, but who knows? I might end up tandem nursing too...

All this being said - I don't enjoy nursing. I like cuddling with my sweet pea, but i don't really enjoy nursing. Reason why I keep going is because I see how much good its doing him - he is thriving! And I see my friend's kids that have been switched to formula or been FF from the beginning and all the health issues they have... And I take out the boob
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

1. It was easier than weaning
    2. He was still a baby
    3. The health benefits are amazing and they save money
    4. He was/is a small child and picky eater
    5. They still need the nutrition
    6. It's normal for a child to nurse for more than a year
    7. He still wanted to nurse
    8. I had thought that I wanted to let him wean himself
    9. I still wanted to nurse him

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    1. It was easier than weaning
    2. He was still a baby
    3. The health benefits are amazing and they save money
    4. He was/is a small child and picky eater
    5. They still need the nutrition
    6. It's normal for a child to nurse for more than a year
    7. He still wanted to nurse
    8. I had thought that I wanted to let him wean himself
    9. I still wanted to nurse him
    this list. I think I am going to print this out (changing LO to girl) and put it in huge letters on my fridge for my family!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

great responses

nothing magical happens on day 365... it's not like they go to sleep on day 364 needing breastmilk and wake up on day 365 not needing breastmilk, ya know?

My original goal was 6 months. At about 4 months I knew I wanted to nurse him for at least a year because that's when nursing became something easy and comfortable (and convenient). All of the struggles with supply/oversupply were over. I no longer had engorgement, etc. I was able to see how quickly nursing calmed him, how we both finally knew what we were doing and I had confidence in myself and my baby. I remember thinking: "I didn't put in all that work to stop in two months!" So the 6 month mark came and went. Then the year mark came and went. Then the 2 year mark.... My ds2 turned three on Sunday and he nursed 4 days before that. I have no idea if he will nurse again, but I am pleased as punch that if he has weaned, he has weaned of his own choosing
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post
    p.s. @mommal when you mentioned the demand level going way down and skipping nursing sessions >1 yr mark, will this just happen on its own? I offer to nurse every 2-3 hours and she always goes for it. Does this mean I just don't offer, or I do offer and she declines?...Again..people are always with the "again? didn't you just feed her? she's not a baby anymore, etc" Sorry if this is
    After a year, you can lead the way and actively eliminate nursing sessions- generally, as long as your LO is eating a decent solid food diet and is nursing 3-5 times a day her nutritional needs are being met. Or you can let the baby lead the way, in which case the demand level will still go down as the baby naturally and gradually transitions to a majority solid food diet and becomes less and less interested in nursing. I prefer the latter approach because it's easier, but it can be a lot slower than the mother-led approach. For example, my first LO was still nursing around 10-12 times per day at a year old, and she didn't go down to 3-5 sessions per day until after she turned 2. (She really, really loved "pupple.")

As for the "again? didn't you just feed her?" folks- just go and ask "would you rather listen to her cry? And why are you so interested in what I do with my breasts?"
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thumbs up Re: Why did you decide to nurse past a year?

With my first baby ( a girl ), I had intended to wean her after her first birthday. I became a stay at home Mom when she turned 6 months old and then weaning her at 1 didn't seem so important. So, she breastfed until she was 2 1/2 years old (when I was 3 months pregnant with my second baby). Now, that second baby is almost 3 and still breastfeeding at night and sometimes in the morning and sometimes at nap time. I guess I go with the baby-led weaning. It's easier for me and for the kiddos to do it that way. I know that my second baby, who is almost 3, is in the process of weaning. I'm looking forward to having my body back to myself but at the same time, I'll miss breastfeeding. : Gosh! I've been doing it for almost 6 years with only a 6 month break (though that's when I was pregnant so not much of a break).

Just do what feels right for you and your baby!