Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why did you decide to nurse past a year?

Default Re: Why did you decide to nurse past a year?

I looked at my three older kids and could see they are still babies at a year. And I was not about to just stop doing something that brought them great comfort and happiness just because they were 12 months old.

I'll tell you this, though, BFing at the breast is MUCH easier than pumping and giving milk that way. And even more so when you have a toddler. A toddler might need to just nurse for a minute or two for comfort and gets health benefits in the process, but if you offer milk in a cup, you are taking away the comfort aspect, tying yourself up for 15-30 minutes to pump that milk...that they might not finish!

I nursed all of mine until they were almost two. They self-weaned because I was pregnant again and lost my supply. The third one last nursed on Thanksgiving day.

As soon as they stop nursing, the constant colds begin and the ability to resolve a tantrum easily ends
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

It wasn't a decision, it just happened! Her birthday came and went, it didn't mean anything to us. It was working and we enjoyed it.

She did end up weaning at 17 months, but I was 4 months preggo with her sister and working crazy long hours. I'm hoping that her sister will be able to go longer. It's such a perfect way to reconnect after being away all day. In those initial months after returning to work (I'm in Canada and took 1 year off for maternity leave) it was nursing that helped me through. I NEEDED to feel her close to me after being separated.

Nursing beyond a year was for us both.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Our first year was so hard, lots of pumping, 5 month long nursing strike, and lots of other issues. Around 12-13 months I had cut down on pumping drastically and she was enjoying nursing by 10 mos old. So why quit just when we finally got to enjoy nursing? And now she's 20 mos and nursing right now and pretty frequently and I really can't imagine quitting because she is so not ready. We both still enjoy it, it's great for calming her down/comforting her and helps us both sleep better at night (gets her back to sleep really fast).
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Its something that grows on you. When your baby is 12 months you will still think of them as your little baby. Right now you look at one year olds and think they are huge but that's only because you have a 4.5 month old. DS2 nursed until he was 4 yo and as weird as it may sound to someone that has never nursed a toddler that can literally ask to nurse and use complete sentences...it wasn't. He obviously still needed to nurse and I was completely comfortable keeping it up as well. Once you have nursing as a tool to help raise a toddler you won't want to give it up. The "boobie fix-all" as it is so called at our house has amazing super powers for toddlers.

I'm currently nursing my 21 month old DS3 with no end in sight. With my first I planned on weaning when he started getting teeth. when the time came I was way too lazy to switch to bottles and formula and all that junk. Breastfeeding is just too easy once you get passed the first 6 weeks or so.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

I really want My DD to wean on her own... but I got to admit I'm really hitting my limit, It's just very hard for us to wean... The minute she gets upset if I say not right now or just wait a lil bit I give in I just can't help myself. BTW my DD is 22 months and a very frequent night nurser... thats pretty much the only reason I seem to be hitting the wall. If I could get her to only nursing before bed and in the morning when it's light out( which we're working on) I'll gladly let her nurse till she weans on her own, I just really want a good's night sleep again. I actually only let her nurse if she asks for it now, I don't offer it. I let her decide if she wants it or not, I don't find it weird at all when she asks... It's actually really helpful. Because I work during the day PT she has gotten used to only nursing when We're home, so if we're out and about now that she's older she just drinks the water we bring along and doesn't even ask for boob. It's very second nature now and I really don't even think of a time limit for her nursing really
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

It was the same for me as for several of the other mamas who've commented--it wasn't a decision; it just happened. He was still such a baby at one that it didn't occur to me to stop nursing. It was really important that he make the shift to not nursing when and how he was ready, and he did. I started out thinking I would nurse for six months, then moved to not having a timetable, and eventually really wanted to make it to at least two years. He weaned at exactly 21 months, and it was as smooth and seamless as I could have hoped (for him--for me it was heartbreaking).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumtothomas View Post
    it was as smooth and seamless as I could have hoped (for him--for me it was heartbreaking).
    Its heartbreaking at 4 years old too if Mommy isn't ready to wean yet.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

I'm so interested in this thread since we're getting close to that year mark too. Like others have said I just feel like LO is still a little baby, and she's nursing now better than she ever has really, why quit? Its so easy and we both enjoy it, quitting seems like so much more work and I don't need that right now. I just know there is going to be so much pressure to wean from my family, and the expectation from them that I am going to want help or advice on how to do so, especially at LO's bday party...I don't think she's anywhere near ready to stop nursing, same for me too!

p.s. @mommal when you mentioned the demand level going way down and skipping nursing sessions >1 yr mark, will this just happen on its own? I offer to nurse every 2-3 hours and she always goes for it. Does this mean I just don't offer, or I do offer and she declines?...Again..people are always with the "again? didn't you just feed her? she's not a baby anymore, etc" Sorry if this is
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

To the pp, some people do a don't offer dont refuse after a year or so which often cuts the sessions down.

I was on a roll at a year and it was so easy, we both like it so why quit because of an arbitrary number . Nursing is also ingrained in how I parent a baby and a toddler and a way for us to reconnect when I've been at work, or he's been off doing toddler stuff.
    Last edited by @llli*jenna562; March 22nd, 2011 at 02:32 PM.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I'm too lazy to force them to wean when they're obviously not ready to. I figure they won't be topping off before the prom or still asking for it when they stub their toes in jr high, so I'm not worried about it. We just roll with it here. If other people have hang ups about it, well that's not my problem is it?

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies