Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: night nursing more frequently!!

Default night nursing more frequently!!

i'm needing some comfort/advice...
    my ds, who will be 6 mos next week, has had a nasty cold...took him to peds and er actually for wheezing, but no treatments yet (thank god!) he is just stuffy/snotty/a little wheezy...no fever. chewing like a mad man, so i think it is part teething. he used to sleep in 4-6 hour chunks at night. now he is nursing hourly through the night and i am zonked! he nurses normally during the day (every 3-4 hours)...we co-sleep so i feel like that is why he is nursing so much more. the trouble is, i am so tired during the day...and have to care for him, my 4 year old daughter ( who has had a fever for 3 days!) adn my husband/house!!!( not to mention go to work 2 days a week!) what do i do ? is it time for him to move into his own bed? shouldn't he be sleeping longer? oh i'm so stinking tired...please help!
    happy mama of stella 10-11-02, eli (5-3-06), and jude (2-28-12)

Default Re: night nursing more frequently!!

I had the exact same problem with my DD at about the 6 mos point. There is a similar post on here a month or so back that comforted me. I wish I could find it for you. But from what I remember, lots of moms posted that they had the same issue - that their LO's had been sleeping pretty well and then BAM! Waking up every hour or two. There were a few explantions. First, pretty sure babies tend to go through a growth spurt at about 6 mos. So your LO may just be really hungry and needs to eat more for a while. Second, as they get a little older and more aware, they are so excited about this new-found "independence" that they just don't want to sleep. Also, teething could be to blame. The pain could be the cause of waking. Unfortunately, there may be no clear cut answer, but try to take comfort in the fact that lots of us have had the same issue and it's totally normal. My DD is now 8 mos and she is still waking up about every 3-4 hours most night...some better than others, but that's typical. I blame teething and wanting tp PLAY! Ha. Good luck and hang in there.

We never coslept so I can't help you in that regard but I can say that it is the perfect age for a growth spurt. Also, when my DS got a cold he wasn't able to sleep as long (although he seemed to want to sleep constantly) and he nursed like mad during it as well. I think you're just getting hit with a double whammy. I wouldn't decide to put him in his own bed untill at least the cold has passed. He's already probably dealing with 2 other things so no need to add more. If once the cold passes he is still not sleeping well and you want to try him in his own bed then I would say it was worth a try. The good thing is that since he's nursing so much he should get over the cold fairly quickly cause of all the antibodies he's getting from you.

Yes, 6 months is typical for a growth spurt. My dd did this as well (she's 11 months now).
    Also, if he had a cold maybe he didn't eat as well and now he's making up for lost calories and trying to boost your milk supply back up? Just a thought. I promise, it will pass.

My DD wakes to eat all night long when she is either sick or teething also. I think it helps soothe her pain, give her antibodies, and get extra fluids and nutrition she needs to get better. We don't normally co-sleep but when she is going through something like that we do until she is feeling better.
    I would give it some time and take comfort in knowing that frequent night nursing is probably helping your LO get through a tough time. I hope you are BFing while lying down!
    HTH!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

My dd is 5 months now and she has been waking every hour and a half since she was a few weeks. It's never let up. (I'm a bit afraid of the "growth spurt" that is to come in a few weeks) (I wonder how often she'll wake then!!!)

Anyway - I feel for you. I don't have a toddler and I'm extremely exhausted.

Hang in there .. as said by a pp - The extra fluids will help your litte one out.

Same with me.. lately my DD which is 7 months has started to wake more often than normal, however I see two bottom teeth peeking out. I think she's hurting and nursing soothes her. Some nights when she is really crying and sucking her bottom lip, I give her a little tempra, although I hate medications, it does help her.. my poor little girl We also co-sleep, I wouldn't dream of putting her in her own bed, cause I feel that would make it harder for me and her. Co-sleeping makes it easier to just let her nurse while half awake laying down It soothes us both!!