Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Adderall and Breastfeeding

Default Adderall and Breastfeeding

Hi. I'm new, and I looked through the boards and didn't see anything specific to medicines.

I'm curious if anyone has experience with Adderall while nursing?

I'm currently 34 weeks pregnant, and I stopped my adderall and wellbutrin when I found out I was expecting. But every day is a struggle. I want to breastfeed, but I need to get back on my medications.

I've been told that there's safe options to anti-depressants. But haven't gotten any straight answers about adderall. Adderall is the more important of the two. I can live without my anti-depressant but I can't keep doing this without my Adderall. I don't function like normal people without it, lol.

FWIW, I take 20mg in the morning and 10mg in the afternoon when I do take it. I've been assuming that I won't be able to breastfeed if I choose to go back to my medicine, but I'm hoping someone here can shed some light.

TIA!

Default Re: Adderall and Breastfeeding

Unfortunately ADHD drugs are L3 meaning you should only take if the benefit outweighs potential harm to baby.

If you really plan on taking them personally I would try to find one that doesn't have amphetimine(speed) in it. Have you tried others? Or is adderall the only one that works for you? You can try to BF while taking it but watch your LO for adverse effects (sleeplessness for one is the biggest SE of adderall iirc)

Also antidepressants are perfectly safe for nursing mothers. Those with ppd take zoloft if needed so there souls be no problem taking welebutrin, but check with your drs on that obe
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Welcome!

I can't tell you whether any medication is or isn't safe to take in your particular situation, but according to the source I have (Medication and Mothers' Milk by Dr. Thomas Hale) Adderall carries a theoretical risk of poor sleeping patterns and low weight gain in babies, though the few studies that have been done didn't demonstrate any adverse effects. The main concern seems to be Adderall's potential for abuse.

My recommendation would be to call Dr. Hale's InfantRisk Center. They should be able to give you more specific info, taking into consideration your dosages and when you take them. The phone number is 806-352-2519, and it's open M-F from 8-5pm Central Time.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Thank you very much! I will definitely look into that and see what information they may be able to provide.