Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Conflicted about quitting EP

Default Conflicted about quitting EP

My baby & I never got the hang of breastfeed (preemie & 2 weeks in NICU), but three times in the last few days she has grasped at my clothes and just popped right on my breast to feed. I had "somewhat" come to terms with terminating pumping next Monday, after her she gets her shots. I had to go back to work and I am really having a tough time scheduling time to pump and feel like I'm missing out on my baby b/c I'm tethered to the pump so much. Plus my husband really wants some sleep at night.
    BUT, now that she is showing some interest I'm more hesitant to stop, but what really are the chances that at 7 weeks she'll catch on to BF? And, I really feel bad about not being able to provide BM which I know is best and hate giving up just b/c its hard & not fitting in my schedule.
    I don't know if anyone can help, but just needed to get what I'm feeling out there. Both my mom & husband think I should just stop pumping.
    Thanks for "listening"

Default Re: Conflicted about quitting EP

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*1019toby View Post
    My baby & I never got the hang of breastfeed (preemie & 2 weeks in NICU), but three times in the last few days she has grasped at my clothes and just popped right on my breast to feed. I had "somewhat" come to terms with terminating pumping next Monday, after her she gets her shots. I had to go back to work and I am really having a tough time scheduling time to pump and feel like I'm missing out on my baby b/c I'm tethered to the pump so much. Plus my husband really wants some sleep at night.
    BUT, now that she is showing some interest I'm more hesitant to stop, but what really are the chances that at 7 weeks she'll catch on to BF? And, I really feel bad about not being able to provide BM which I know is best and hate giving up just b/c its hard & not fitting in my schedule.
    I don't know if anyone can help, but just needed to get what I'm feeling out there. Both my mom & husband think I should just stop pumping.
    Thanks for "listening"
    The chances are actually very good that she could learn the breast. My son was bottle fed while I EP'd for over 9 weeks after he was born and he eventually came to the breast full time.

Have you seen the preemie forum here? There is a TON of great advice about how to get baby back to the breast.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    The chances are actually very good that she could learn the breast. My son was bottle fed while I EP'd for over 9 weeks after he was born and he eventually came to the breast full time.

Have you seen the preemie forum here? There is a TON of great advice about how to get baby back to the breast.

It took my daughter 2 months to latch on and another 3 months before she was nursing full time. It can totally be done and it's SO worth it when they do. You're right, breast is best. If you are conflicted it's because you know how important it really is. EPing is hard. I know. But it sounds like it finally clicked for your baby. Maybe take a day or two and try to nurse 100%. It might be frustrating at first but you may find it work at getting your baby to the breast.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I KNOW how hard EPing is. I am EPing for baby #4. I have 4 kids 6 and under, a household to run and everything. I successfully nursed my other kids, so I know just how much easier BFing is -- in fact, I had a temper tantrum this morning because I'm so tired of the washing up of bottles and stuff all the time

But I'm hanging in there. Because I am hoping that after my baby's palate repair, he will want to nurse. But that won't be until October at the earliest. I keep going because I KNOW how much better breastmilk is for babies. Yeah, you feel like you are tied to a pump and that you are missing out on your baby -- and I won't lie, you are not having nearly the same experience as a BFing mother. But FF will NOT bring you any difference than what you are going through now, other than not having to pump. Instead, you have to run to the store and buy formula ...and recent research indicates that you also have to buy non-floridated water, as mixing formula with tap water can expose your child to excessive flouride!

I often feed the baby at the same time I pump at night so DH can sleep. That might be a solution for you guys. I prop baby on a pillow and feed him while hooked up. We cosleep, so baby never is crying and fussing because as soon as he squirms around looking for food, I am right there to feed him. DH doesn't even know what's going on

So don't quit. Work instead on teaching your LO to nurse at the breast. There's a lot of moms who have BTDT and can help you through it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Do you feel comfortable sharing details of your job with us, including hours and commute time? We might be able to help you figure something out that will work. Sometimes the idea of pumping at work can be daunting, but when you're actually doing it, it becomes part of your rhythm, your routine, then one day you're not pumping and you're like "what do I do with all this time?!?"
    Last edited by @llli*jeno; March 21st, 2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos