Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do you think I'll need to pump?

Default Do you think I'll need to pump?

Owen is 2 yrs old and nurses when he wakes up in the morning, before and after nap, and before bedtime. Sometimes he'll nurse one additional time during the day.

The kids and I are going to visit my parents and I will be leaving the kids with them for about 36 hours (my sisters and I are going to NYC for an overnight and to do a few things, and it's a 4hr drive each way from my parents, so I think 36 hours is about right).

I haven't been away from him (minus his NICU time) for more than 4 hours. I do have a good milk supply, always have, but I figured I'd be fine not pumping while I'm gone. My girlfriend asked if I was bringing my pump and I said I wasn't and I thought I'd be fine and I don't want to carry it with me on the planes and in the airports, I have enough to carry plus both kids by myself, but she said she thinks I'll need to pump. I figure if I am super uncomfortable, I can hand express. I don't have experience being away from him though so I don't know.

What do you think?
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Default Re: Do you think I'll need to pump?

I don't have experience nursing an older toddler, but I would think you would be fine with just hand expression if you are good at it. Does anyone you know have a manual pump you could borrow?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Hmmm... I think if it were me, I'd probably bring the pump. If you are still nursing him 4 times per day and have plenty of milk still, I'd be willing to bet that if you go 36 hours without nursing, you're going to be pretty full and uncomfortable.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I'd probably just see how it goes and if you need to you can buy a cheap one at a drug store. I"m sure there are plenty around.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I am nursing a 15 month old who also nurses about the same number of times per day. I work 12 hour shifts 3 days per week, and I'm pretty full when I get home, but not uncomfortable (yet) most days. I would imagine after 24 hours I would be quite uncomfortable. I personally LOVE my Medela hand pump. It lets me get milk out efficiently without lugging a big pump around. My personal opinion is that "cheap" pumps aren't worth the money. They don't work well for the majority of moms (althought there are always exceptions).
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

BRING THE PUMP!
    I just got back from being away from the kids 5 days, and I didn't bring my pump b/c Bennett nursed maybe once a night, sometimes not at all. I was miserable about 36 hours in. If you think you can nurse when you get back, then don't worry but maybe have it on hand just in case you get uncomfortable

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I second bringing the pump. I was away from DD (27 months) for exactly 24 hours 3 weeks ago. And I thought i'd be fine. I woke up in the morning SOOO engorged that it was painful and even hand expression didn't work well (and i'm generally very good at it).....I got a bunch of plugged ducts.
    First time mom to Kalyna born December 14th 2008

Born: 7lbs 7oz
    Month 1: 8lbs
    Week 5: 8lbs 6oz
    Week 7: 9lbs 5oz
    Week 9: 10lbs 2.6oz
    Week 17: 14lbs 7oz

Nursing a 3.5 year old!
    Love , and

Bummer! I really didn't want to lug the pump with all the other stuff I have. But, that kind of discomfort is no good either. Thanks ladies!
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenniebean5 View Post
    Bummer! I really didn't want to lug the pump with all the other stuff I have. But, that kind of discomfort is no good either. Thanks ladies!
    i agree with the other posters - what about a little hand pump?
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it