Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EBF 20 Week old with Iron Deficiency - Need help

Default Re: EBF 20 Week old with Iron Deficiency - Need help

I am so, so sorry you're having to deal with this. What a pain, and good for you for continuing to BF your babe. I bet he's doing as well as he is because of all your good milk!

I know adults can get IV iron. It carries some risk of reactions, and I'm not sure kids or babies can get it, but it might be an option to discuss with your hematology team.

I totally agree with the PP who suggested that a compunding pharmacist might be able to mix a tastier formulation for him- although no matter how you slice it liquid iron is pretty gross.

Also, honestly, if I were in your situation and I really needed to get that oral iron in b/c there was no other way to get it and we were both getting way stressed out, I might try a little cereal. I know you said you wanted to EBF for a year and I respect that, but you may want to talk to your team about the risks of ongoing iron deficiency anemia versus the risk of starting solids (only just a couple of tablespoons of cereal to mix the medicine in). I say that with the utmost respect for your situation and decisions, but as a healthcare provider and a mom of 3 who also knows that sometimes the best plan in any given situation isn't what you'd do in the ideal situation.

Good luck and hugs to you.

I understand the situation and the risks associated with iron deficiency. In fact, I have said several times that if/when I call my son a 'pinhead' later in life it needs to be a strictly ironic way so I will definitely be doing everything I can. Right now my plan of attack is to give a half dose when DH leaves for work (5am), "brush" his teeth really quickly to get out the blood taste and then nurse him upright. Then I repeat this at 10, 3, and 8 until he gets the full dose of 1ml twice a day (which is equal to 2ml).

So far it is working pretty well. He has only spit it up once but I'm pretty sure it was because my hubby was jostling him.

Thanks for your input though. From what I've gather - both through talking with his doctors and extensive research, weaning would be the worst thing because his iron intake and ability to digest the iron would have been compromised. His team of doctors 100% agreed and are very large proponents of BFing, thankfully. And my hesitation with the rice cereal (although if this new plan fails I will go for it) came simply from misunderstanding... But a friend of my family has successfully breastfed her preemie twin boys into toddlerhood using that method so I feel better about it now.

<3
    Mama to baby Henry and wife to a wonderful sailor.

I like to keep it pre-agrarian.
    Anthropologist, seamstress, cloth diaperer, and health foodie.
    all the way.

I don't know how you feel about this, but when my son was slightly anemic, instead of the iron supplements, I mixed up a little blackstrap molasses mixed with a bit of apple juice (for the vit c to aid absorption) and squirted it in his mouth, then rubbed his gums off a bit with a washcloth.

From what I understand, Henry is more than slightly anemic. :\ He has a follow-up on the 29th so we'll see what they say...
    Mama to baby Henry and wife to a wonderful sailor.

I like to keep it pre-agrarian.
    Anthropologist, seamstress, cloth diaperer, and health foodie.
    all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ancilla View Post
    From what I understand, Henry is more than slightly anemic. :\ He has a follow-up on the 29th so we'll see what they say...
    I understand that I just meant since it sounded like you weren't getting the supplements in him because of the taste, that might be better than nothing.

When my LO was 8 weeks I had to get her to take antibiotics and allergy medicine. She had terrible infected eczema. I had to tape an IV line to my breast and under my shield to get her to take the meds. If you are good enough you can sneak it to the back of the throat and baby will never know because there are no taste buds back there. Warning; this can affect latch and cause pain.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!