Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EBF 20 Week old with Iron Deficiency - Need help

Default EBF 20 Week old with Iron Deficiency - Need help

Hi, my son is 20 weeks old and he was born at 34 weeks 5 days gestation. He was born with posterior urethral valves and severe hydronephrosis/renal damage. He have been exclusively breastfed from about two days old (before that the NNICU was supplementing what I produced with formula ) and he has been doing really well as far as eating and growing and sleeping. He was born 5 lbs 12.4oz 19" long and is now 15lbs 8oz and 24.6" long. Because of the PUV and renal issues he is watched very closely by a team of doctors, one being a hematologist. One of his blood tests showed he had a very low RBC count and we were instructed to take him to the ER for an emergency transfusion on x-mas eve. All his subsequent blood tests have shown low levels of factors that point to iron deficient anemia and we were instructed to give him a liquid iron supplement. I read up on all the 'horror' stories associated with iron supplements in babies and tried first supplementing my diet - both with oral pills and an iron rich diet... His levels are still low (14 when they should be 90 or something) and so now we are actually trying the liquid iron supplement.
    Which brings me to my actual problem... My baby hates the medication. He spits it out and then rages (which in baby world is crying inconsolably) for a long time after. I have even tried mixing it with a little breastmilk and he still doesn't take it well. He will spit it up or drool it out of his mouth and then he - and everything he touches, smells like iron (or blood). Even my breast and then he won't accept my breast. I am really frustrated. All the troubleshooting I've read has been for non-breastfed babies or babies who are already eating solids. I want to keep him EBF at least until his 1st b-day so it's important I find a solution that fits breastfeeding. Thank you!! <3
    Last edited by @llli*ancilla; March 21st, 2011 at 11:04 AM.

Default Re: EBF 20 Week old with Iron Deficiency - Need help

mama! Sorry you are going through this, but wow! Your baby is as big as mine was at 6 months, and mine was full term without any kind of complications. You must produce some high-tension power milk!

What amount do you have to give him?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

1 ml of Enfamil liquid Iron.
    Last edited by @llli*r.m.selleh; March 21st, 2011 at 12:44 PM.

I'm gonna echo the PP on that power milk. My DD weighs just 15 lbs at 6 months and she was 9lbs 1oz at birth - you are a MEGA MILK MAMA!

It doesn't seem like it should be, but 1 ml is a TON of medicine to give to an unwilling baby, isn't it?

Honestly I would speak to your pharmacist, as in go down there and do it in person. He/she may be able to suggest a different formulation to your doc or be able to flavor it some way.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

It is the standard dose, I think. The medication is not prescription and the box says the dose is 1 ml...

I just need to know if anyone has had to do this before and if there are any tricks. He really needs it but will not swallow it - and I've even tried mixing it with a bunch of milk and feeding him a bottle...
    Mama to baby Henry and wife to a wonderful sailor.

I like to keep it pre-agrarian.
    Anthropologist, seamstress, cloth diaperer, and health foodie.
    all the way.

I'm sorry my dd was like that with the iron drops too she simply refused to take them, the doctor said wean...

My dd was much older and we gave floria dix she was willing to take that.

http://www.florahealth.com/flora/hom...ucts/R4771.htm

have you tried spreading it out over the day a smaller dose at a time.

Have they checked into why he has such low iron? Did they check his stools for occult blood?

I want to say too that the hematologist that we saw knew nothing and I do mean nothing about breastfeeding.