Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some issues

Default Some issues

Ok here it goes. This is my first time breastfeeding. My son is 5 weeks old yesterday. I feel like all I do is nurse him. He eats every 2 hours daily for 15-20 minuets a time. I feed him on one breast at each feeding and switch to the other the next feeding. I feel like he needs to be eating longer and have a longer spam in between the feedings. His doctor said he was gaining weight fine. In 3 weeks he went from 7.1 to 9.4. So I guess he is getting enough. I need to know if I need to just pump or try and get him on a schedule because at this point we can't even go out because the minuet we get somewhere he has to eat and most places it is very hard to BF. Someone please give me some insight on this. maybe I need to go see a lactation consultant to help?

Default Re: Some issues

Every 2 hrs is perfectly normal. Don't try to schedule your LO's meals, it won't work.

Don't try to invision being "imprisoned" invest in a nursing cover and act nonchalant about it. I'd so love to go out but I've discovered my husband is embarrassed by the thought of me whipping out my boob discreetly to feed a starving baby. Which is why he doesn't take me anywhere nice since Luna doesn't like bottles. He wants me to hide in the corner or a guest bedroom to feed.

It's the LAW in most if not all states that a mother can BF her baby anywhere and any time.
    Luna Justine: born January 20 th 6 am on the dot
    I did it! Now without the nipple shield 100% of the time Since 2/12

We are now self-latching! .

ing about . expecting to start in 2 weeks.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Okay good. I see all these posts on all different sites that say it should be around every 3-4 hours and for 20-45 min on the breast. My husband is the opposite he says screw everyone and feed the baby. We do have the utter covers and it will stay in the diaper bag for sure. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*keberlek View Post
    Okay good. I see all these posts on all different sites that say it should be around every 3-4 hours and for 20-45 min on the breast. My husband is the opposite he says screw everyone and feed the baby. We do have the utter covers and it will stay in the diaper bag for sure. Thanks for the help.
    There's no set rule on feeding times. They try to force the 15 min per breast in the hospital cuz they want the milk to come in on day 2-3 and equal time on each breast in such scheduled times makes it come faster. Once the milk is there it can even be feeding 5minutes every 2.5hrs. Every baby is different.

Blame strange autocorrect if my posts come out weird. More often than not typing one handed on a "smart" object or just ing

Great. I'm glad to hear it's going okay. The lactation department at the hospital were very pushy with me so I Lina had my hubby pull out the laptop in the hospital and we watched videos and googled it.

At this point it's perfectly normal not to be able to do anything but feed the baby. It's what you should be spending all day doing. Most of us didn't get out of our PJs or off the couch for the first 6 weeks at least and sometimes it's up to 12. Let the baby feed on demand. That is the only way you will continue to make the right amount. Don't worry. Don't doubt yourself. Your baby gained 2pounds! It's definitely working.

Way too lazy for formula

Sounds like you're doing great. Thats a great weight gain! The times sound perfect for your baby. Hes going to gear up for a growth spurt pretty soon (6 weeks-ish) so be prepared for things to change. He could want to nurse more often, even every hour, and may want to nurse longer. This does not mean you don't have enough milk. It means he's growing and demanding your body make more. And thats perfect, your body will quickly respond to that.
    If he still seems like hes hungry after you've emptied one breast, go ahead and offer the other side. There are no set rules, just go with it.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Thanks for all the help ladies! Also 2 other questions. Since he is feeding so much when is a good time to pump? I feel like my breasts will not have enough to even get anything worth pumping. Also what is a good pacifier to use? My son likes to just suck for 2 mins to fall asleep. We bought a few kinds and he is not good with them.

Some babies don't like artificial nipples and pacis

If all the ones you tried are silicon try a latex one

Why do you want to try to fit pumping in now? Your child seems to be getting the right amount from your breasts at this point. Are you needing a freezer stash for later?

Way too lazy for formula